The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Stupid shoes!! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/stupid-shoes-67318/)

BWolters 10-15-2010 04:03 PM

Stupid shoes!!

Ok so I have a 5 year old thoroughbred, who I was told NEEDED shoes on his front (lady never had him without) his hooves are really not that bad for an OTTB. hardly no pancaking etc. Well he throws a shoe almost every time I ride him!!! Ive tried the bell boots, the farrier beveled the trailing edge of the shoe, and shorted the back hooves alittle to prevent catching.. Im at a loss!!! We are currently use an aluminum shoe, would I steel hold up better? what about like hot forge? PLEASE HELP!!!!! I ride once then have to stop riding for 3-4 days waiting on the farrier

trailhorserider 10-15-2010 04:18 PM

Perhaps trying something like a rockered toe or "natural balance" type shoe on the front feet would help to speed up the break-over and help the front feet get out of the way quicker.

Speed Racer 10-15-2010 04:19 PM

Steel shoes are heavier than aluminum. If your horse has a thin hoof wall, the aluminum is actually a better shoe for him.

How long did he go without shoes before you shod him? He could just need to grow out his hoof properly to hold a shoe.

My TB requires front shoes. He lost them constantly the first couple of months. Now, I can go the full 6 weeks in between farrier visits without him losing one.

BWolters 10-15-2010 04:21 PM

If it does need to grow out how do I keep shoes on him during that?

Speed Racer 10-15-2010 04:23 PM

You can try glue on shoes.

If he doesn't have enough hoof wall to hold a nail, glue ons are a good alternative until he can.

Yes, they're more expensive, but once he has enough hoof, you can go back to the regular nail on shoes.

BWolters 10-15-2010 04:25 PM

Ya what kind of bell boots??? I have a pair of neoprene and rubber
Posted via Mobile Device

Speed Racer 10-15-2010 04:30 PM

I don't think anyone said anything about bell boots. :?:

I don't use 'em.

BWolters 10-15-2010 04:31 PM

Really? I honestly don't see how a little rubber will stop a hoof from hitting
Posted via Mobile Device

Alwaysbehind 10-15-2010 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWolters (Post 783431)
Really? I honestly don't see how a little rubber will stop a hoof from hitting

You are not making any sense. SR did not say that bell boots work (or do not work). She said she does not use them. Why do you keep asking about them like someone said they are miracle workers?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speed Racer (Post 783409)
Steel shoes are heavier than aluminum. If your horse has a thin hoof wall, the aluminum is actually a better shoe for him.

There are two schools of thought on this, actually.

Yes, aluminum is lighter. And it may be better for that reason.
Steel is more structural, less likely to bend easily. So in some cases the extra weight is worth it because a steel shoe give sore solid support.

How long have you had your horse? Do you know if the previous owner had these problems?

I would look at your turn out schedule, feeding program, etc. An unhealthy hoof is a complete and total pain to keep a shoe on.

Been there, done that, have way too many T-shirts.

What finally helped my horses problem was a different farrier. Well, I think that was the fix. I changed farriers and moved my horse to a barn with a ton of turn out at the same time.

I do think properly fitted bell boots do help. No, they are not miracle workers. But they do help.

BWolters 10-15-2010 04:42 PM

He's out 24/7 but he only throw shoes riding. He just had a set on yesterday and one was all bent when I got back to the barn
Posted via Mobile Device