The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Lunging while riding? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/lunging-while-riding-67352/)

TheRoughrider21 10-15-2010 09:30 PM

Lunging while riding?
 
I'm starting from the ground up with Lakota and we've just been doing lunging and excercises on the ground. Depending on how he does tomorrow, my friend wants me to ride him while she lunges him. I just want to know how this works and what I'm supposed to be doing on his back? Just sitting up there or do I use the reins or what? Thanks for any help! =)

Brighteyes 10-15-2010 10:01 PM

Just sit pretty and put your hands either on your head or on your hips. Or, if you want to be cool, hold them out like airplane wings. :D Just ride like normal; forget about your hands.

equiniphile 10-15-2010 10:06 PM

Don't interrupt contact with the lunge by contact with reins. Focus on your position and the horse's movements, not his headset ;-)

Saskia 10-15-2010 11:30 PM

Are you aiming to improve your riding or train Lakota?

Western 10-16-2010 12:28 AM

I would suggest just leaving the reins alone. Hold them, but dont put any pressure on his mouth. If it's a young horse, then you just want him to become comfortable with the weight. You dont need to worry about turns, aids, or commands for a while. Just focus on getting a nice, collected, calm walk. You really should hold the reins though, just incase he panics and the person on the ground cant gain control. That way your not totally helpless in the saddle :/

If its a mature horse, you will seriously confuse it by using the reins. It will be looking for commands and signals from both you and the person on the ground, and he will get frustrated!! It's hard to keep his attention on both of you.

TheRoughrider21 10-16-2010 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brighteyes (Post 783817)
Just sit pretty and put your hands either on your head or on your hips. Or, if you want to be cool, hold them out like airplane wings. :D Just ride like normal; forget about your hands.

Thanks for the advice! Should I have the reins connected to his bridle or just not use them at all?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saskia (Post 783880)
Are you aiming to improve your riding or train Lakota?

Re-train Lakota. He wasn't giving to pressure so we decided to start over from the ground with him.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Western (Post 783916)
I would suggest just leaving the reins alone. Hold them, but dont put any pressure on his mouth. If it's a young horse, then you just want him to become comfortable with the weight. You dont need to worry about turns, aids, or commands for a while. Just focus on getting a nice, collected, calm walk. You really should hold the reins though, just incase he panics and the person on the ground cant gain control. That way your not totally helpless in the saddle :/

If its a mature horse, you will seriously confuse it by using the reins. It will be looking for commands and signals from both you and the person on the ground, and he will get frustrated!! It's hard to keep his attention on both of you.

He's 5 but I'm afraid he'll start bucking or something stupid and if I don't have reins I'll be completely helpless up there. So can I just lightly hold the reins with one hand or will that confuse him?

Western 10-16-2010 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheRoughrider21 (Post 784061)
Thanks for the advice! Should I have the reins connected to his bridle or just not use them at all?



Re-train Lakota. He wasn't giving to pressure so we decided to start over from the ground with him.



He's 5 but I'm afraid he'll start bucking or something stupid and if I don't have reins I'll be completely helpless up there. So can I just lightly hold the reins with one hand or will that confuse him?

Not at all. Just as long as you dont use the reins as an aid unless absolutely necessary. If your worried about him bucking, I would suggest holding them with both hands XD

VelvetsAB 10-16-2010 11:15 PM

The very first place I took lessons, the coach would put you on a lunge line. She wouldnt allow you to touch the reins at all. She would put the bridle on with reins, but twist them up and put the throat latch over them. If you are riding in a western saddle, you have the horn to grab onto still, and if you are riding english, just grab some mane with one hand and the front of the saddle with the other. You will be fine. I think it would be better if you arent holding the reins at all, as it could confuse him, but thats just IMO.

TheRoughrider21 10-17-2010 09:05 AM

All we did is my friend put me on the lunge line but I rode him just like I normally would and she was just my guide. If he acted up or stopped and i couldn't get him to go forward, she would whip him forward. It was...different though.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:25 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0