The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Other Pets (http://www.horseforum.com/other-pets/)
-   -   Rescued a rat tonight (http://www.horseforum.com/other-pets/rescued-rat-tonight-67364/)

TKButtermilk 10-16-2010 04:00 AM

Rescued a rat tonight

I have had many a rat over the years and have loved every one dearly. However having to watch most of them suffer in the end due to inbreeding and cancer, I had sworn off them. However all of that changed tonight. My younger sisters boyfriends little brother had 2 rats, I met them a few months ago when we watch their dog. When I saw what their living condition was I was horrified! Instead of bedding they were on cat litter and were being fed hot dogs! The one rat (Coco) looked relatively healthy however the other one (Bean) was incredibly skinny and was having trouble breathing. Both me and my mom totally lost it and we couldn't understand WHY my little sister was letting this happen, she has had 2 rats and very well knows this is in no way okay. She said she had tried to tell them and that they didn't know how to care for them blahblah we went round and round. Well we couldn't let this go on so we went out and bought some rat food and changed their cage so they had actual bedding. We then *nicely* explained to the father that this is how they should be cared for. A few weeks later big surprise Bean dies. So this weekend we are once again watching the dog, no mention of the rat. I walk in and a cheery little rat greets me at the side of the cage but good lord does she look horrible! She is once again on kitty litter and being fed chow mein! She looks just as bad as her sister. I took her out and she is incredibly skinny, has all kinds of stuff around her eyes, has a broken tail and can barely breathe. I couldn't leave her there so now shes here, with proper food and bedding. She is very unsteady and tires easily. In the half hour Ive had her she has practically collapsed and had to rest at least 3 times. I'm not stealing her, if they want her back (if she lives that long) they can have her, but I doubt they will honestly. but I will make it very clear that she will have a good home with me. Right now shes laying in my lap and very well could be dying ): I hate people.

http://i948.photobucket.com/albums/a...assey/rat2.jpg

Pizmo 10-16-2010 09:24 AM

Aawwwww I hope she pulls through & gets better. I would've done the same. I couldn't stand by & watch an animal suffer either. Why do people get animals & not care for them???
Posted via Mobile Device

GuitarChump 10-16-2010 10:00 AM

I had a rat when I was 7 or 8. Theyre awesome. Hope it gets better
Posted via Mobile Device

countmystrides 10-16-2010 10:26 AM

wow, never had a rat, my cousins did though. But that definitely broke my heart, keep us updated :)

tinyliny 10-16-2010 02:05 PM

I love rats. We have had several and had to watch them die of cancer tumors too. But, we had 2+ good years with them and they are wonderful pets. I always tell people, "don't get a Hamster or a Mouse. Get a rat!"
If she doesn't make it, just know that you have made her last time better. She is really cute.

Gillian 10-16-2010 08:07 PM

Poor baby! Hope she gets better. She looks so much like my old rat Frylock. Sadly he passed away this summer. But I have 5 other wonderful ratties in my life to full the void. Wonderful pets.

TKButtermilk 10-20-2010 04:57 PM

Sadly the rat passed away yesterday morning ): atleast wherever she is now she can explore and breathe
Posted via Mobile Device

dressagebelle 10-20-2010 09:35 PM

Poor baby. What makes me sad is that so many people get small pets like rats and hamsters and guinea pigs, and think that they are something that is cheap and easy to care for, and that they don't really need anything "special". Rats just like any other pet need the appropriate bedding, toys for entertainment, proper food, and something to curl up in and fall asleep, plus space to run around and get some exercise. I've had a couple rats, and loved them. Sometime I would love to get another one, though I agree that a lot of pet stores have inbred rats that are bred with the general idea that they are probably just going to go as snake food. I do know that Kahoots pet supply doesn't sell rats for food. You have to be buying it as a pet, otherwise they won't sell it to you, which I hope means that they are a little bit pickier about the breeding and care of said rats, and that overall if I get one I'd be getting a healthier happier rat. But at least this little girl knew kindness and care the last bit of time before passing on.

TKButtermilk 10-20-2010 09:38 PM

I got 2 rats from Kahoots, we watched them grow up in a small ten gallon tank and eventually had to bring them home haha. They were awesome but one eventually got a large tumor on her chest. If I ever get another one I'm going through a breeder.
Posted via Mobile Device

drafts4ever 10-27-2010 03:26 PM

She's happier now. at least she had her last moments in good hands. Poor little thing. that makes me want to give my ratties a big kiss on their Buddha bellies and chubby cheeks, BUT not until after their bath. It's cage cleaning and bath day.