The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Keeping out infection (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/keeping-out-infection-67454/)

MyLittleHunter 10-17-2010 03:18 PM

Keeping out infection

So maybe I'm making a big deal out of nothing, but I fell better safe than sorry.

So my horse and pony are normally fine when turned out together, but being silly geldings, from time to time they nip at each other. Well Dallas got my pony on the face today. The mark is 1" long, and 1/4" wide, not at all deep. It's just a spot with the hair gone, and a tiny spot where blood was coming from. No swelling or anything. So I wiped it clean, and then put 'Wound-Kote' which keeps it clean and prevents infection. I'll keep cleaning it and then applying Wound-Kote daily until it's healed.

So I think I have it handled pretty well, but anyone know anything else I should do for it?

Wound-Kote: Horse Wound Care: Equine Wound-Kote by Farnam

mbender 10-17-2010 08:46 PM

Honestly, its fine. My horses get that a lot. The other horses will bite and a patch of horse hair is missing. I just leave it. I don't think you have to use the wound kote daily. Just check it daily but the pony should be fine.
Posted via Mobile Device

PaintHorseMares 10-17-2010 09:13 PM

For minor scapes, nips, and cuts, just wash with an antibacterial soap, put some generic neosporin on it, leave it heal on its own, and you can keep the $$s you'll save by not buying Wound-Kote. What you did is fine, but if it's healing OK on its own, don't mess with it...it will actually take longer to heal if you scrub it everyday.

MyLittleHunter 10-18-2010 09:58 AM

Okay, thank you everyone!

It seems to be heeling up nice. Still no swelling bleeding has stopped. So I'll just keep a close on it to see if it needs cleaned out or retreated at any point, but for the most part I'll just leave it alone to heal by itself.