The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   Critique my first ride back on Brooke (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/critique-my-first-ride-back-brooke-67461/)

juniormylove 10-17-2010 05:00 PM

Critique my first ride back on Brooke

Don't critique Brooke, she's not mine [unfortunately].

First course is 2'6", and I believe the rest are 3'. This was my first ride on Brooke in 2-3 months.

I know we missed lead changes a few times...my trainer told me to ignore that and let her sort herself out. She was being a snot about them and I was getting so focused on the lead change that I was missing turns [ehem...first course] and getting all messed up. So we just let her fix herself [or not].

I'm actually quite proud of this..when I first started riding her, I didn't understand the concept of using my outside rein/leg to help her turn [I was basically taught to pull the inside rein]. The fact that we were able to make the tighter turns here makes me SO happy!

Anyways...be as harsh as you'd like. :)

OrangeToes 10-19-2010 02:53 PM

I thought that was pretty decent if you are learning to push with your legs, One thing that is pretty easy to do and makes a huge difference is not letting her break into the trot because it will throw your stride off.
Nice job!

If you have time go critique my mare =)

juniormylove 10-19-2010 03:40 PM

thanks for the critique!

I was just wondering when she broke to the trot? I have no recollection of that happening.

OrangeToes 10-19-2010 03:45 PM

1:50 2:08 2:13

EquusPeace 10-19-2010 09:08 PM

You seem to "pump" with your body and lean around turns. work on sitting quietly and learning to feel the horse's natural rythm. more flatwork would benifit you, as well as working on figure 8's and circles, as your turns are still very stiff ( u need to practice guiding with your reins instead of pulling)
Hope this helps!!

wintec 10-20-2010 01:32 PM

It looks to me that you are cutting your rail corners, first course. Corners are your best friend when you have them between jumps, it gives you time to reorganize. A little deeper with straighter lines to the jumps in my opinion. You seem to ride her well over fences, as in not really getting ahead or anything.

juniormylove 10-20-2010 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrangeToes (Post 787439)
1:50 2:08 2:13

At 2:08 we were going over a jump? And at 2:13, I was fixing her lead, haha. She knows her flying changes but doesn't like to do them so I just do simple lead changes with her when I can.

Quote:

Originally Posted by EquusPeace (Post 787718)
You seem to "pump" with your body and lean around turns. work on sitting quietly and learning to feel the horse's natural rythm. more flatwork would benifit you, as well as working on figure 8's and circles, as your turns are still very stiff ( u need to practice guiding with your reins instead of pulling)
Hope this helps!!

YES I do. I swear, it's her canter. I'm much stiller on horses who aren't so...like her, haha. I still pump, but not nearly as badly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wintec (Post 788374)
It looks to me that you are cutting your rail corners, first course. Corners are your best friend when you have them between jumps, it gives you time to reorganize. A little deeper with straighter lines to the jumps in my opinion. You seem to ride her well over fences, as in not really getting ahead or anything.

You're right, I'm BAD BAD BAD at corners and she always makes it super obvious cause she won't go into a corner unless you need her. The very last clip with the three jumps was where we were working on riding out to the corner, then to E before rolling back to the combination. :)

Thanks, everyone!

MudPaint 10-20-2010 06:12 PM

I agree with what's been said already, so I'll skip it. The only other thing I noticed is you don't always look for your fence till you're already making that turn. I kept thinking you were going over the plank fence, not turning in front of it.

There are a TON of fences in this ring, good job not running into one. =)

juniormylove 10-20-2010 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MudPaint (Post 788681)
I agree with what's been said already, so I'll skip it. The only other thing I noticed is you don't always look for your fence till you're already making that turn. I kept thinking you were going over the plank fence, not turning in front of it.

There are a TON of fences in this ring, good job not running into one. =)

Yeah, I'm bad about that. My trainer [sometimes you can hear her] is always yelling at me to "look THROUGH the turn" but...I don't. :oops:

haha yeah...Brooke thought we were going over the planks too, cause that's all she's ever really done.

I know, there are like 10 in there -_- Makes for some fun courses though, cause we can switch it up so much! I almost never do the same course two lessons in a row...and they change the jumps around every 3 months or so.

MudPaint 10-20-2010 07:17 PM

Looking through your turn will make the courses ride smoother and you won't have to yank around the turns. It goes hand in hand with the outside leg. I generally have an eye on my next fence (or general direction) while over the current fence. This also helps with landing on the correct lead.