The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Most amazing ride of my life.. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/most-amazing-ride-my-life-67506/)

Western 10-17-2010 11:35 PM

Most amazing ride of my life..
 
I just went for the most amazing ride in my life. I took a two and a half year old filly out for her very first trail ride... that was the first time she's ever been off the property. We walked down the road and I decided to do a little exploring.. there is this massive hill about 1km long, and super steep. She started walking up it and I let her have the reins, she ended up cantering, then galloping up the hill!! We reached the top, I had to slow her down and carefully walked down, then as soon as we hit the bottom she started trotting again, cantering, then went into another full blown gallop!!! We raced across two fields and then she splashed into the river. She was having so much fun!! her ears were straight foreward, her tail was way up high, and she was just loving it. She looked almost dissapointed when it was time to head back....

I just loved seeing her have so much fun. The true deffinition of freedom :DD

tinyliny 10-18-2010 01:49 AM

Sounds like fun, but mighty young to be riding so hard. 2 and a half?
I would just barely be backing a horse at that point.
Hm m m . . .

mbender 10-18-2010 07:47 AM

Sounds fun. No herd bound or barn sour in her? Wow, I hope when I get my filly ready for her first time off the property she reacts like yours.

JustPaint 10-18-2010 09:35 AM

Sounds fun. ;)

Western 10-18-2010 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tinyliny (Post 785707)
Sounds like fun, but mighty young to be riding so hard. 2 and a half?
I would just barely be backing a horse at that point.
Hm m m . . .


I didnt push her at all!!! I just let her do what she wanted to do...

MacabreMikolaj 10-18-2010 12:14 PM

Not a good idea. What happens next time when she wants to keep galloping and you don't? How many racehorses break a leg and continue to keep galloping? Horses don't always know better.

Glad you had a great ride, but be careful about all the galloping - her joints may not be fused, and you may be setting yourself up for ugly future rides if she wants to run everywhere and you'd rather walk! :wink:

kmdstar 10-18-2010 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacabreMikolaj (Post 786060)
Not a good idea. What happens next time when she wants to keep galloping and you don't? How many racehorses break a leg and continue to keep galloping? Horses don't always know better.

Glad you had a great ride, but be careful about all the galloping - her joints may not be fused, and you may be setting yourself up for ugly future rides if she wants to run everywhere and you'd rather walk! :wink:

Agreed. My horse would run nonstop if I let her.

I'm glad you had fun, but I would really limit the hard work with such a young horse. This is an important time to be teaching her and not letting her do what she wants.:lol:

Western 10-18-2010 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kmdstar (Post 786135)
Agreed. My horse would run nonstop if I let her.

I'm glad you had fun, but I would really limit the hard work with such a young horse. This is an important time to be teaching her and not letting her do what she wants.:lol:


I know.. Usually I dont actually let my horses run on a trail ride. It was just her first time out and I wanted her to have a little fun :))

Next time I'll ask her to go at a slower pace.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:02 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0