The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   My New stallion (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/my-new-stallion-67521/)

nybarrelracer 10-18-2010 10:04 AM

My New stallion

2 Attachment(s)
Elliot is my new stallion he was given to me in a trade. he is impressive breed, i usealy will not have this line but he is HYPP N/N. he is a very sweet boy and veyr layed back.
i belive he breed my apha mare so, im just wondering if i should keep him a stallion or geld him.

Attachment 43828

Attachment 43829

a Touchdown Liu Quarter Horse

franknbeans 10-18-2010 10:24 AM

Wrong person to ask, here. I do not think random breeding is a good thing, and if you cannot control who breeds who, (you think he may have bred your mare, but not sure?) then you should not have a stallion. Perhaps a bit harsh, but there are WAY too many average horses out there needing homes. Much like spaying/neutering puppies. I am a HUGE advocate. If you have never been, try going to Fingerlakes Auction. Perhaps it will open your eyes, and it is pretty close to you.

While I am here, just a question-is your black and white paint gelded? He is just listed as "male", so wasn't sure. If not, is it not possible HE bred your mare (or any of your other horses?)

Sorry, but irresponsible breeding sets me off.

ShutUpJoe 10-18-2010 10:46 AM

There isn't anything spectacular about him. Earlier this year I got an Impressive HYPP N/N filly for $275. There are A TON of Impressive get out there and much less of a demand for them.

Curly_Horse_CMT 10-18-2010 10:52 AM

Geld him (too short) :-|

Super Nova 10-18-2010 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by franknbeans (Post 785872)
Wrong person to ask, here. I do not think random breeding is a good thing, and if you cannot control who breeds who, (you think he may have bred your mare, but not sure?) then you should not have a stallion. Perhaps a bit harsh, but there are WAY too many average horses out there needing homes. Much like spaying/neutering puppies. I am a HUGE advocate. If you have never been, try going to Fingerlakes Auction. Perhaps it will open your eyes, and it is pretty close to you.

While I am here, just a question-is your black and white paint gelded? He is just listed as "male", so wasn't sure. If not, is it not possible HE bred your mare (or any of your other horses?)

Sorry, but irresponsible breeding sets me off.

Sorry but I agree with this.........and to top it off .......it doesn't look like you have appropriate fencing for a stallion.

Super Nova

Speed Racer 10-18-2010 10:58 AM

Geld him. There's nothing about him that screams 'stallion material' to me.

Besides, even though he's N/N, he's still Impressive bred. That alone would make me geld him.

He'll be a very cute gelding, and you won't have any more 'accidental' breedings.

Alwaysbehind 10-18-2010 11:02 AM

He will make a very cute gelding.

Poco1220 10-18-2010 11:10 AM

Mind you I am a stallion owner... However I don't advise owning one. I got extremely lucky that my
boy is well behaved and easy to handle. Your fencing is not safe since although the stallion may be good a mare may just as easily take it down going for him... It happens more than you think. If he's on your property it's easier but if you're looking to board then good luck and be ready to PAY PAY PAY! Is he rideable? Does he have offspring who have performed well? Can he compete or perform in anyway? Is there anything in his bloodlines other than Impressive?

99% of the time when someone asks should I keep him a gelding the answer is no. If you're asking then even you have doubts on his quality as a stud. Geld him so you and him can both enjoy your lives together. :)
Posted via Mobile Device

franknbeans 10-18-2010 11:19 AM

Ok-I am getting a bit confused and frustrated. You are advertising him online as a stallion,($75 fee) and say you are currently breeding him to one of your mares. Hmmmm. Why would anyone entrust you with their mare to breed with this stud if you do not even call the vet to see if your OWN mare is in foal,(see other thread) and, this is a 2 yo, who is totally unproven. I see you also breed ponies, and were looking for a bitch dog to go with yours. Screaming to me of totally inappropriate breeding of all sorts of animals-oh-and how much call is there for "meat goats"? I live in your area and have NEVER known anyone to eat goat.
The more I look at your ads and website the more angry I get at your ignorance. And you are a trainer too......sad, but true.:twisted:

Horse Classifieds from Stone Heaven Farm , in New York, Freeville

Equine Now Horses for Sale

Stallions Now Stallion Directory

Home - Stone Haven Farm

Eastowest 10-18-2010 11:21 AM

I would geld him. But before you geld him, if both he and your Paint mare are registered and transferred into your name, you can send in the required DNA, file a stallion breeding report, sign all the appropriate paperwork, and register the foal. Daddy can be a happy gelding as soon as he is listed/his DNA is on file, and you can still have your registered baby from him.