The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Pregnancy and riding? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/pregnancy-riding-67522/)

AmberPick 10-18-2010 09:15 AM

Pregnancy and riding?

I've heard all different kinds of opinions on horseback riding (or even being around horses) while pregnancy.. What are you stories/opinions on it?

KANSAS_TWISTER 10-18-2010 10:25 AM

every time i've been pregnant i have stopped ridding. for the fear of falling off and killing the baby

kitten_Val 10-18-2010 10:37 AM

That's what my gyn said too (she has horses herself), when I asked her about it. But then my friend was riding all 4 times she was pregnant.

Alicia 10-18-2010 10:45 AM

I stopped riding, but that's mostly because I didn't have a horse that I could truely trust. If I had a horse that was 'bombproof' I probably would've rode a few times but nothing too crazy and only until I got big.

Poco1220 10-18-2010 11:24 AM

I rode my stallion until the day I was due. Mostly walking but it was all road riding with no issues. :) I have the pics to prove it!
Posted via Mobile Device

Citrus 10-18-2010 11:52 AM

I would stop riding because I would never forgive myself if something happened to the baby.....

I have known two women that rode while pregnant- one had no mishaps, one fell off due to her belly throwing her off balance when the horse misstepped and she lost the baby....... not worth it.

RoosterDo 10-18-2010 12:44 PM

I ride.. slowly... Im 8 months pregnant and still ride but we dont do anything fast because my belly bounces too much lol. I also have a hard time mounting and have to use a block now and my mare is short. I say if you are comfortable do it but be smart and safe.

Snookeys 10-21-2010 12:10 AM

I know someone that was halfway on in her pregnancy and didn't ride, but still worked with horses on the ground. She was halter breaking a yearling and he ran her over, stepping on her stomach. She lost the baby, and now has complications when attempting to re-conceive. It's just not worth the risk.

Saskia 10-21-2010 02:19 AM

I hear that the baby is pretty well protected in there (riding probably wouldn't hurt it) but a direct blow or hard indirect impact can be devestating.

I've never been pregnant, but if I were I would probably ride early on, but later stop. I'd handle a quiet horse but not others. I think its just a personal choice you have to make. Dealing with unpredictable or flighty horses would pose too much of a risk, in my opinion.

AmberPick 10-22-2010 11:38 AM

Thanks for all the opinions! I think for me I will probably stop riding when I am about 3 months pregnant. I don't think even just falling off a horse would cause a miscarriage at that point because as someone else said the baby is well protected, but I think after that I would be done!

I know my aunt rode her mare until she was due and then got right back on (with the baby) a few weeks after having the baby.. But I know my husband would have me locked in a cage before he would let me do that!!

And Snookeys.. That's horrible. :( I would have thought it would be okay to work with horses but I suppose there are just those situations that you never think are going to happen but they do..

We are going to try to have all of our babies before we get a horse but then again we might just have one more baby or it could be three more.. Depends on whether the next one is as naughty as his/her older brother!!