The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Hosing down legs in the cold? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/hosing-down-legs-cold-67541/)

kmdstar 10-18-2010 12:58 PM

Hosing down legs in the cold?

How cold does it get before you should stop hosing your horses legs down?

Apparently there are um, some concerns about our horses being in the mud because we don't want them in their stalls and there was a comment made about them having scratches. No signs whatsoever, but the fact that they are out in muddy pastures is enough to be worrysome I guess (both of which have dry places to go and we put their hay there to try to keep them out of the mud...but you know horses) BUT just to make sure no one gets too concerned :roll: we've been hosing their legs down. It's been about 50 degrees in the day and high 30s or 40s at night, is it okay that we are hosing their legs down? We boarded next to a racing stable once and I saw them hosing the racehorses legs off in February so I'm thinking it isn't a huge problem but I am curious in case there are any 'concerns' with that too :lol:

mls 10-18-2010 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kmdstar (Post 786125)
Apparently there are um, some concerns about our horses being in the mud because we don't want them in their stalls and there was a comment made about them having scratches.

If the concern is scratches - clip the excess hair on the lower leg. Then after rinsing the legs, towel them off. Dry, clean leg.

The moisture is the concern more than the mud.

To answer your question though - if it's warm enough for mud, you can hose.

DanniS 10-18-2010 01:38 PM

i agree with mls.
i live in england so i dont know the temperature difference, but we hose our horses legs off throughout the year....if its hot we let it air dry, if we feel its a little cold we towel dry...better to be safe than sorry is what we always say :)

Alwaysbehind 10-18-2010 01:43 PM

What MLS said.