The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (
-   Horse Talk (/horse-talk/)
-   -   Getting a Horse on Trial (

Clementine 10-19-2010 12:13 AM

Getting a Horse on Trial
Hi everyone,
So, I may be getting a horse on trial very soon. Actually, I am 99% sure that this horse will be coming to me on trial very soon. (Gotta leave the 1% chance that something could make it fall apart)

Anyway, I've never bought a horse before, and therefore never had one on trial. What is the protocol for this sort of thing? Do we need to negotiate on her price prior to her arrival? I'm sure we'll need to draw up a contract. Will there be a deposit involved? Anything else you can tell me about how trial periods usually work?


Alwaysbehind 10-19-2010 06:42 AM

Too many variables to answer your questions with definite answers.

The way you worded your post it sounds to me like the horse is coming in for trial via your trainer.

In that case, it is most likely one trainer sending a horse to another trainer in hopes that the second trainer has a client the horse will work for.
In this case, the answer to your questions is no. No deposit, no prices set before hand (by you, I am sure your trainer has talked with the other trainer and they know what the horse owner wants), etc. It is the trainer network working.

If it is a horse that you found (even with your trainer) and you personally are taking it on trial then normally a price, pending trial and vet check, is agreed upon prior to the horse going out on trial. A deposit is given, a contract covering every little detail is written up and very frequently the person taking the horse on trail takes out insurance on the horse (with the seller as the beneficiary).

Clementine 10-19-2010 11:34 AM

@Alwaysbehind - It is a horse I have found myself; sorry for the confusion. That's pretty much what I was thinking.

As far as insurance, I actually had a policy on my last horse (he was a lease, and has gone home) - I wonder if I could transfer it? I believe we just had him insured at the minimum value for mortality (we really just wanted the major medical, but you can't get that without mortality...) so I'm really wondering if they'll transfer it to a horse that we actually have to put the intended purchase price on - I imagine that might cost us a bit of extra $$$.

Clementine 10-19-2010 11:35 AM

Extra info tidbit: The horse is coming for 2 weeks.

Alwaysbehind 10-19-2010 12:16 PM

Call up your insurance agent and ask. I am sure you can figure something out. Short term life insurance during a trail period is not a unique thing so I am sure they will know exactly what to do.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:26 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome