The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Going Bitless.... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/going-bitless-6773/)

Leggs Lady 03-09-2008 03:14 PM

Going Bitless....

My 20 y.o Appendix QH Gelding has been fighting his bit for weeks now...throwing his head up and fighting ever time he goes out for a ride. I have tried going from a D-ring snaffle to a French Link, nothing keeps him from fussing. My mother rides him while i ride/re-train my younger saddlebred gelding, and she isn't as great a rider but knows what she's doing.

I eventually started to ride him in a tightened halter with lead lines, and his behavior completely changed. i was wondering if anyone had any input on Hackamores. My mom rides English pleasure and is always in saddle.

so she needs something that will help her maintain control w/o a bit...

Any advice is welcome....Thanks

tim 03-09-2008 07:33 PM

Hackamores, yea, or you could try the bitless bridle.

Abby 03-09-2008 08:40 PM

Ride your horse in a rope hackamore with the four noseknots like clinton anderson. Avoid mechanical hackamores. I find you can use less rein than the regular 2 knot because the message is stronger, just make sure the knot under the chin is snug and so is the throat latch or it will flop around. I don't know anything about whether or not it would be show legal but they are great for trail riding if you trust your horse. I'm more likely to trail ride in a rope halter than with a bit in my horses mouth.

nikelodeon79 03-11-2008 07:08 PM

I use this on my Arab:

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/i...eon79/hack.jpg

It's called an "Indian Hackamore" or "Indian Bosal" (not very politically correct, I know :? ). Anyway, it is much like a halter, with a bit more control. My Arab works terrible in a bit, but wonderful in this bosal/hackamore. In addition to nylon, I've also seen them made from rawhide and leather.

kitten_Val 03-12-2008 07:49 AM

Nic, can you post you arab with the hackamore on? I tried to figure out how it looks like on the head, but with not much success. :roll:

i-love-stitch 03-12-2008 09:12 AM

i had a problem for a while with one of mine and a bit and i switched to a hack and he loves it! it makes it much more enjoyable with him

nikelodeon79 03-12-2008 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kitten_Val
Nic, can you post you arab with the hackamore on? I tried to figure out how it looks like on the head, but with not much success. :roll:

I will do so this weekend when I go out to my parents' and ride (he's stabled there until I get my barn & fence built!).

kitten_Val 03-12-2008 11:15 AM

Thanks! I'll be waiting. :) If possible, please open another post for that.

My2Geldings 03-12-2008 12:08 PM

I have never ridden my horses in anything but a bridle, unless it was around the arena bareback with a halter. The photo of the hackamore looks quite comfy!

go-g8td 03-24-2008 09:40 PM

Re: Going Bitless....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leggs Lady
so she needs something that will help her maintain control w/o a bit...
Any advice is welcome....Thanks

Just this past weekend, I tried my 13 year old gelding on a bitless bridle. He noticed the freedom immediately. No more head tossing (he was always tossing and fighting), however he was a bit more lively and tried to do his own thing. He didn't do anything stupid, just pressed his luck like any teenager does. I think after a bit more training, he will be great in the bitless bridle. www.bitlessbridle.com. I will say that positioning it critical. Good luck! :D