The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   western saddle on CL is it worth the money? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/western-saddle-cl-worth-money-67860/)

OleHomestead 10-21-2010 05:16 PM

western saddle on CL is it worth the money?

Check out this saddle on craigslist and tell me what you think please!Western Saddle for sale

Snookeys 10-21-2010 05:24 PM

Would be hard to tell without a hands-on examination. Our guess is as good as yours at this point. Go see it! Worth a shot! If it fits you and your horse, I'd say it's a good investment.

OleHomestead 10-21-2010 08:03 PM

I wish I could go see it but it's 2hrs away.My mom said she can pick it up for me cus it's only 20min from her but she doesn't know anything about saddles or horses for that matter :/ UGH! The lady said it's made of real leather and condtion is like new but doesn't know the size.I'm kind of torn wether to chance it or not.That's an awesome price but....what to do what to do?

Amarea 10-21-2010 08:13 PM

I'm pretty sure that's a King Series saddle... Let me check really quick and see if I can find more info for you...

I personally have a King and LOVE it!

OleHomestead 10-21-2010 09:24 PM

Well I would have to get it by tomorrow so let me know!!

OleHomestead 10-21-2010 09:50 PM

Researched it and it does look like it :)

Amarea 10-21-2010 10:22 PM

If it is a King, I would say go for it! The price is GREAT! I sold my 15 inch well used barrel saddle for $150. That saddle looks barely used! I just purchased a new King trail saddle a few months ago and I LOVE it!

Good luck!

IloveLucky 10-23-2010 01:15 PM

Have the lady measure the seat for you. It will be hard to tell if it will fit your horse from a picture.

luvs2ride1979 10-24-2010 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OleHomestead (Post 789706)
Check out this saddle on craigslist and tell me what you think please!Western Saddle for sale

I would pass. It looks like a cheap Asian import to me, unless you also want to use it as a decoration ;-).

luvs2ride1979 10-24-2010 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amarea (Post 790032)
If it is a King, I would say go for it! The price is GREAT! I sold my 15 inch well used barrel saddle for $150. That saddle looks barely used! I just purchased a new King trail saddle a few months ago and I LOVE it!

Good luck!

King Series and Royal King saddles are both Asian made junk. They're made on cheap fiberglass trees, or softwood trees, both of which will warp and crack over time, and often don't fit horses right from the beginning. The leather is chemically treated and painted on, with poor stitching. The hardware is all nickle plated that will rust and break sooner or later. Some web sites try to advertise them as having "retail prices" in the $500-800 range, but they're not worth even a third of that price...

Saddle King of Texas are good saddles, though I believe they're not made any more.