The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Insurance and Immunizations? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/insurance-immunizations-67906/)

armydogs 10-21-2010 08:32 PM

Insurance and Immunizations?

I still have a year left over here in Korea, but I am trying to get a head start on a few things. I know we will head to Ft Benning, GA once we leave here. I have been looking online for boarding facilities in and around Benning. They actually have a boarding facility on post. I emailed them yesterday, and got a response back today. They have a 10 horse wait list at this point in time, because they are the cheapest in the area, that I have found. In their contract that they sent me a copy of, I noticed it says I have to carry insurance. Here is specifically what it says I must have:

"I am aware that every member is required to carry a minimum $10,000 liability insurance and that I may be held personally liable for debts, claims, and legal actions against the Association in the event Association assets are insufficient to discharge its liability."

I have never carried insurance before. Does anyone know where I can find it? Or have any idea what it might cost? Should I check with my insurance company?

Ok, my next question is about immunizations. I know this is going to make me sound really niave, but they really make Rabies shots for horses? Also, the list of things that are not required, would you recommend going ahead and getting them done? Or are they something that should be done at a later time. What do you guys think?

"Must have proof of Rabies, West Nile, Strangles Intranasal, and EEE/WEE vaccination within the last year administered by a veterinarian. (Tetnus, Equine Influenza, Rhinopneumonitis, and Potomac Horse fever are highly recommended, but not required)"

I appreciate all the help I can get on this.

dee 10-22-2010 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by armydogs (Post 789967)
I still have a year left over here in Korea, but I am trying to get a head start on a few things. I know we will head to Ft Benning, GA once we leave here. I have been looking online for boarding facilities in and around Benning. They actually have a boarding facility on post. I emailed them yesterday, and got a response back today. They have a 10 horse wait list at this point in time, because they are the cheapest in the area, that I have found. In their contract that they sent me a copy of, I noticed it says I have to carry insurance. Here is specifically what it says I must have:

"I am aware that every member is required to carry a minimum $10,000 liability insurance and that I may be held personally liable for debts, claims, and legal actions against the Association in the event Association assets are insufficient to discharge its liability."

I have never carried insurance before. Does anyone know where I can find it? Or have any idea what it might cost? Should I check with my insurance company?

Ok, my next question is about immunizations. I know this is going to make me sound really niave, but they really make Rabies shots for horses? Also, the list of things that are not required, would you recommend going ahead and getting them done? Or are they something that should be done at a later time. What do you guys think?

"Must have proof of Rabies, West Nile, Strangles Intranasal, and EEE/WEE vaccination within the last year administered by a veterinarian. (Tetnus, Equine Influenza, Rhinopneumonitis, and Potomac Horse fever are highly recommended, but not required)"

I appreciate all the help I can get on this.

A local (to that area) insurance agent should be able to help you with the liability insurance. You might see if there is a Farm Bureau agent around there.

Not only do they make rabies shots for horses, but they are HIGHLY recommended - especially since contracting rabies is pretty much an automatic death sentence. I'm surprised that the contract didn't mention you had to have a current negative Coggins test before bringing the horse on the property, too.

armydogs 10-22-2010 09:38 PM

Thank you Dee, I will definitely check into a FArm Bureau agent in the area. I felt really stupid about asking about the Rabies shot. I know that dogs have to have it, and it is highly recommended for cats. I did not know they made them for horses. That was a new one on me. It says earlier in the contract that we have to have a negative coggins done less than 30 days prior to moving in, and have them wormed at least 2 days prior. They will be quarenteened for 14 days. They are really strict on the stuff they require. Which one of the reasons I like them.