The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   There is no way I am going to go through this! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/there-no-way-i-am-going-6792/)

BluMagic 03-09-2008 09:37 PM

There is no way I am going to go through this!
 
Back to the respect issues guys. I went out to feed earlier and before I feed I pet Blu and talk to him. He has been snobby since the lack of riding. Today he nipped me. Before we left for vacation, I led him around and brushed him. I asked him to trot with me and guess what he does: he takes off ahead of me nearly pulling my arm out of my socket then he threw a kick out. I don't know if it was just a warning or intentionally he tried to kick me but I won't stand for thatkind of behavior from him danget! I need advice, opinion, suggestions, and tips! Help me help him! Grrr...

SonnyWimps 03-09-2008 10:01 PM

Re: There is no way I am going to go through this!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by BluMagic
Back to the respect issues guys. I went out to feed earlier and before I feed I pet Blu and talk to him. He has been snobby since the lack of riding. Today he nipped me. Before we left for vacation, I led him around and brushed him. I asked him to trot with me and guess what he does: he takes off ahead of me nearly pulling my arm out of my socket then he threw a kick out. I don't know if it was just a warning or intentionally he tried to kick me but I won't stand for thatkind of behavior from him danget! I need advice, opinion, suggestions, and tips! Help me help him! Grrr...

I can't begin to name how many respect issues I had with Sonny when I bought him. Not only did he NOT take me seriously, but he tried to take over.

You've got to show Blu that YOU are in charge.

For the nipping problem, smack him on the nose each time he does it. It might sound cruel, but that's the way you fix it. It won't hurt him...heavens if all the stuff we do to a horse while riding doesn't hurt him, a smack won't. There's a Belgian cross at the barn that bites/nips at people. Each time he does it, we give him a smack on the nose and he straightens up and doesn't bother that person for the rest of the day.

For the bolting...use a rope halter. A rope halter puts more pressure on the nose, so it he bolts, he'll get the halter digging into his nose. If that still doesn't work...dare I say this....use a chain. I hate using chains...but you got to teach Blu good gound manners.

Also, if he has energy, lunge him...even if it's just 10 minutes every week...it will help.

Also, when you are trying to get him to trot, does he immediatly bolt? Or does he trot for a while then take off? If he does it for a while then bolts, keep him occuplied. Turn circles...change directions...keep him guessing where you are going to lead him next.
If immediately try having him start trotting in a tight circle...it will be harder for Blu to bolt

Harlee rides horses 03-09-2008 10:49 PM

Put a stud chain on him for leading purposes for a while until he gets back under control.

BluMagic 03-09-2008 11:52 PM

It's like he treats me like I'm one of his mares. After he nipped me I popped his nose and went to rub him again. He pushes me away with his ears back and because I don't move and tell him "NO" he turns his butt to me. :evil:

I do use a rope halter. I like them. He trotted like to steps and took off. At first I thought it was just out of excitement but when he got stubborn I changed my mind to misbehavior.

I have been playing sports left and right so its hard for me to keep up with my normal life. lol. I have soccer practice after school at four. I plan on lunging Blu on my days off and on the weekends.

I know that HE KNOWS BETTER and shouldn't be treating me of all people like this. He doesn't do it to my mom. I know most about him, too. I practically raised the little brat! :x lol

SonnyWimps 03-10-2008 10:35 AM

sounds to me like he's testing you, which is a dominance issue. Put a halter and lead rope on him. If he nips you, smack him and go to pet him like you said you do. The minute he turns his butt towards you, turn his head around and make him face you. He shouldn't be treating you with that bad of disrespect.

Use a chain...just put a regular halter on him...take the chain and put it through the one circle thing on the halter, around his nose, through the other hole, then connect it up to the hole near his eyes (sorry someone more experienced could probably tell you the real name...if you want a picture I can get one). That will stop him from pulling, and will let you have better control of him when doing stuff.

When you lunge him, does he give an attitude? Any charging? Not listening?

MysticRealm 03-10-2008 03:28 PM

I don't know about your problem but just had to comment on the chain thing. DO NOT just take the chain over the nose! You must wrap it once around the nose part of the halter. this prevents it fron slipping down and causing severe injury to the nose and bones in the lower part of the head (I can't explain it but it is not good)

BluMagic 03-10-2008 06:07 PM

I am aware of how to use a std chain. I appreciate the explanations! :-D

He does the same when lunging. He will try to pull away and start bucking. I don't think he was this bad last year. I'm trying not to let him get a way with anything but I guess its not working. I've pushed aside my hackamore preferences. I plan on purchasing a Myler bit jointed with rollers. Being on a budget sucks. lol.

Hopefully, tomorrow there with be no soccer practice. Then I will get the chance for groundwork and lunging. I'm not going to let Blu get away with what can hurt me and anyone. :x

SonnyWimps 03-10-2008 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BluMagic
I am aware of how to use a std chain. I appreciate the explanations! :-D

He does the same when lunging. He will try to pull away and start bucking. I don't think he was this bad last year. I'm trying not to let him get a way with anything but I guess its not working. I've pushed aside my hackamore preferences. I plan on purchasing a Myler bit jointed with rollers. Being on a budget sucks. lol.

Hopefully, tomorrow there with be no soccer practice. Then I will get the chance for groundwork and lunging. I'm not going to let Blu get away with what can hurt me and anyone. :x

free lungeing or on a line?

Talk to the barn owner on what to do. See what he/she thinks and try to find out how this all happened. See if the BO knows when this all happened to try and pin point exactly when it started.

Other than that I can't really think of ways to correct the problem...my brian is dead today :(

BluMagic 03-10-2008 10:16 PM

Well, he's not being boarded really. I have most responsibility for him. His misbehavior occurs mostly on the line. I rarel free lunge in this case : he's out to pasture! But I tend to a lot more when I have the round pen available at the Fairgrounds.

My2Geldings 03-11-2008 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harlee rides horses
Put a stud chain on him for leading purposes for a while until he gets back under control.

Why are you such a fan of stud chains? It seems thats the only advice you give when someone has issues with behavior problems.

There are many other options. In the last decade I have been riding I can count of only a single occasion where a stud chain was warranted.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:55 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0