The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   Trainers make me nervous...help? (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/trainers-make-me-nervous-help-67989/)

xxEmilyxx 10-22-2010 12:21 PM

Trainers make me nervous...help?

I never used to have this problem...I started taking lessons when I was 7 or 8...and then when I was 10, we were having some financial issues and I had to stop for a while. At age 12, I started taking lessons again, and now I have a problem. I'm now 13.

Trainers make me nervous. I've been to three or four different ones, and its the same thing. I don't know what it is, but I can't focus when I'm in the arena. I can't do anything right. My legs and hands are all over the place.

The other day I went to try out a horse I might buy, and the owner was kind of giving me a mini-lesson, because I was terrified. My heels weren't down, my hands were shaking, and it was a disaster. I really liked the horse, too. So now she thinks I've hardly ever sat on a horse...even though I've been taking lessons for 5 years.

The other thing is, I remember everything. This only happens when I'm under pressure. I wen't to horse camp over the summer (because it was cheaper than buying 10 group lessons) and through the whole week, I was doing worse than the 8 year olds that had never been onb a horse before! But at the end of the week, we rode on the beach, and I did everything perfectly. It was honestly some of the most flawless riding I'd ever done. I actually had fun. The trainer let me and some of the older girls go down the beach and in the water while she stayed with the younger ones, and it was a blast, we galloped down the beach and my seat was awesome and the horses were having so much funn. it was so nicee. Sorry for my rant, but see, my riding just dies under pressure. Does anyone have any suggestions for...calming down or whatever I need to do? Cause if I ever end up showing...this is not going to work out :/

EventersBabe 10-22-2010 12:33 PM

Your probably scared of being yelled at. When your nervous a horse gets nervous so just take some deep breathes and not focus on why your scared. Focus on your ride.
Dont try to impress them you took a break now into riding so just be cautious of your surroundings you know? Dont worry :) you will be fine

Luvs2jump 10-22-2010 06:04 PM

The only thing I can suggest, is before you mount, close your eyes, take deep breaths and picture that day on the beach.
Also, caffeine can get you hyped you too so from the time you get up to after your lesson, lay off of it, I found this out one day the lesson before was bad and it was because of me, I didn't have caffeine that day til after the lesson and I was nice and relaxed! I know it sounds strange but I believe in that one.

trailhorserider 10-23-2010 12:09 AM

This reminds me of when I went and looked at my newest horse when she was for sale.

I had 4 people watching me, and they had this bosal contraption on the horse and I couldn't steer her to save my life. It was a real mess. I'm sure they thought I was a rank beginner. The guy selling the horse was even trying to give me lessons.

So anyway, long story short, I bought the horse, put her in a bit, and haven't had a problem since. I just couldn't get the hang of the metal bosal contraption they were using on her. But I must have looked like an idiot out there! No matter, I got me a really nice horse for $500!

ilikehorses 10-24-2010 08:39 PM

What you can do if you every feel nervous if just sing/hum/whistle a tone. Believe it or no it does help

Bandera 10-24-2010 08:58 PM

I know I LOVE people watching me because i want them to look at me and be amazed by how well i can ride!!! I know it sounds super cocky but thats kinda of how you have to be, show your instructor your better than here, thats what i always try to do hahaha and i ride my best! I know if you not with the right trainer it can get weird and stuff but when i have found trainer i really like my riding is better in lessons than when i am by myself!

ilikehorses 10-24-2010 09:02 PM

poor trainer

Bethy 10-25-2010 03:22 PM

Below our ring there is a western cross tie and the kids love to drop the heavy metal tack that spooks my horse. Now everytime we were on that side of the ring Lucy would spoke because I would tighten up.

My trainer just tells me to stop relax and pretend there is noone in the world but me and Lucy (my horse). Just breathe and do your own thing (follow the direction of the trainer though!) and you should be fine! Its like acting in drama...pretend there is no audience and you are sining in your bedroom alone.

corporate pride 10-25-2010 11:33 PM

i took my young horse to lesson a few months ago and he went from being all "whatever" about going out to "omg i'm gonna stand on the spot and buck!" that was before i got on, so i was really scare s;;;less. i took the first 30mins on the lesson to calm us both down then had a really good lesson. so the next time we went out i was already scared because ofthe last time, so naturally the jumping lesson was next to the highway! so this time i was prepared, i took him up to the arena and did ground work, then i tacked and lunged for 5 mins just to reassure that he was calm. he was a little naughtier then the last lesson but i was more relaxed and went with the flow more and we achived alot!
so in the end it was me relaxing that made it a good lesson because i wasn't tense i could flex to the bucks he threw in.
for you, you need to stop thinking that people look at you to judge you and relax, you know that you can be a fantastic rider and need to stop thinking about all the technical parts of it and start enjoying and relaxing. improvement takes times and you need to give yourself the chance to improve, as my idol would say "it's anti-training" - Mr HP :lol:

deep breath and enjoy. it will come when it comes. put those blinkers on and go to a "private lesson in your head" :-)
AND STOP BEING SO CRITICAL OF YOURSELF! :-)