The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Tripping...how much until it's considered a soundness issue? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/tripping-how-much-until-its-considered-6802/)

SonnyWimps 03-10-2008 11:12 AM

Tripping...how much until it's considered a soundness issue?

What would you consider a soundness issue for tripping? Every time you ride? At least 10 times per ride? Couple times?

Lately my horse has been tripping alot. Mainly I believe it's because he's talking the corners way to fast or sharp (when I'm lungeing), and when I'm riding I think it's me throwing him off balance (for he never trips when someone else rides him).

Just wanted to get everyone's feedback on this. I know the tripping while lungeing is because he's taking turns way to sharp and at a too fast of speed that he can handle (I free lunge him...he enjoys it alot better than lunging on a line), and I'm pretty darn sure that I'm occasionally throwing him off balance when I ride....when I ride, he only trips at a canter and it's when we are going around a curve...I'm doing something wrong I believe, but have to figure out what.

And he doesn't do it all the time while cantering...just occasionally. He hasn't tripped yet for my friend whom I let ride him, nor for any of the other girls...just me...so that's why I'm sure that I'm throwing him off balance. Also he didn't trip when I was cantering him around when I was doing a lesson on him. So it's something that recently started...so I doubt it's a soundness issue, it's probably me haha.

Vidaloco 03-10-2008 09:29 PM

Vida used to trip a lot too. I never did figure out what was causing it. We switched farriers recently and she doesn't do it nearly as often so maybe thats it. I first thought I was placing my saddle to far forward or I was riding off balance. I've really worked on keeping my posture correct so I'm sure that played a big part of it. It was scary how often she tripped, I was afraid to go too fast for fear of it. It must be a combination of things since she very rarely trips now.

crackrider 03-11-2008 05:40 AM

Yes it could be his feet or just balance like you said.

We had a mare that tripped HEAPS when walking around. We were living in a really hilly place with REALLY steep hills with scrub and rocks and everything on them. We had to ride around the side of these mountains/hills to muster cattle.
We were really nervous about riding her around those hills with her tripping problem. When we did finally have to we were suprised to find she didn't trip once. She was just as nimble as the other horses. We put it down to her not really paying attention to where she put her feet most of the time and when she was ridden around the hills she did pay attention cause she didn't want to fall down the mountain. :) LOL

kitten_Val 03-11-2008 06:53 AM

First, it really depends on horse - some are naturally clumsy. :) But my horse was tripping a lot also because the toes were too long. After I changed the farrier and he cuts toe more it's wa-a-a-ay better.

SonnyWimps 03-11-2008 09:53 AM

the farrier I used seemed to do a good job on his feet. Next time I he comes out I'll take pictures to see if you guys think he's doing a good job or not. He's coming out the 20th I believe.

I think it's mainly my balance. I used to ride a mare that did motorcycle turns...she's turn way into the arena...so much that I had to lean out of her turn so the saddle didn't slip. I learned to canter on her. That mare was my confidence builder after I had a really bad experience with another horse. I'll get on another lesson horse and do what I've been doing on Sonny to see what they do about it.