The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Free Lunging (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/free-lunging-68072/)

RedTree 10-22-2010 11:40 PM

Free Lunging

Is there a special cue to get your horse to free lunge?

I am just curious as the other day when I went around to the horses, if when I go to catch them or pat thme they walk away I chase them. Well I did this the other day and I think i figured out how to free lunge...
Well Buzz walked away from me so I chased him, I was aiming at his butt and I don't really know what happened but he started doing circles around me.
His ear was on me, I ws kinda freaked out so i stopped doing what ever I was doing and was like and whoa and he stopped and just stood.
So I walked over to him and said good boy. haha

I'm not to sure if I should try it again as it was pure accident, but is it possible that Buzz was trained to do that, or would he of learnt it from being lunged since I have had him?

It was just amazing as he was in a 7 acre paddock, his pony friend was in there as well, he just started circling me and listening.
Sorry or my rambling i am just amazed.
usually when I chase him away he does a couple of laps around the paddock then comes to me, or he does a few strides of trot then turns around and comes back

Saskia 10-23-2010 08:39 AM

Perhaps he wanted to be near you, but because you were pushing him away he was circling as to show you submission, so you would "let him back in".

Or perhaps he had been taught to lunge. As far as I know there isn't any special cue though.

RedTree 10-23-2010 09:06 AM

thats a nice thought, I wonder if he was trained to free lunge, when I got him he didn't really know what lunging was, but that was with a rope

CharliGirl 10-23-2010 01:28 PM

Patches has been taught to free lunge (in a roundpen--pretty sure he would eat and ignore me in a 7-acre pasture!). His cue is I point in the direction he is to go, and urge him on gently with my stick from behind. He knows how to change direction when I do and knows what the words "whoa," "walk," "trot," and "canter" all mean. His previous owner (and me at the beginning) over lunged him--he could do it in his sleep.

ChevyPrincess 10-23-2010 05:12 PM

What Saskia said I would say is the best bet. You were "chasing" him away, and it's a horses natural tendency to be with their herd leader, which, he probably doesn't see the pony as a leader, so it's you.

He was trying to come back in, looking for signs from you, relaxed body, no eye contact and if you turned your shoulder to him, or your back. He most likely would have stopped on his own and maybe even came up to you on his own.

RedTree 10-23-2010 11:39 PM

aww that makes me feel so great, I mean I have been questioning lately if we actaully had a bond or he respected me, I guess this proves it, Thanks guys