The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   Jumping Position (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/jumping-position-68168/)

JumperGirl 10-23-2010 11:37 PM

Jumping Position

2 Attachment(s)
Can you please Critique my jumping position and anything else that needs to be fixed thanks...

PintoTess 10-24-2010 12:57 AM

hmmm it looks alright except you need to keep your toes in a littl and take your reins up a bit more, in other words more contact. and you seem to be arching your back a little so try to keep it flat.
keep up the good work :P

WildSenses 10-24-2010 01:04 AM

Bring your toes in a little. Use your calf not your knee. I'd get more contact in the reins, but keep your hands where they are. Roll your shoulders back just a tad bit. I arch my back a little when I jump too. But I try to push my shoulders back a little bit when I can. The horse is using its neck really well. But it's legs aren't up enough. Are you riding with your seat towards the fence? If you are doing a half seat, which is okay, sometimes its good, sometimes not. Use your seat like you would in dressage. Push the horse up into your hands and ride the horse to the fence. It helps with leg position and rein length too.

I like how in both photos your position barely changes. I think you look pretty great though. :)!

JumperGirl 10-24-2010 01:14 AM

thanks yehh it was a sequence thingy on sport mode with my moms camera.

WildSenses 10-24-2010 01:26 AM

Oh that's really neat :)
Well I think you're doing great. So keep up the good work.

AlexS 10-24-2010 02:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WildSenses (Post 792415)
Bring your toes in a little. Use your calf not your knee. I'd get more contact in the reins, but keep your hands where they are. Roll your shoulders back just a tad bit. I arch my back a little when I jump too. But I try to push my shoulders back a little bit when I can. The horse is using its neck really well. But it's legs aren't up enough. Are you riding with your seat towards the fence? If you are doing a half seat, which is okay, sometimes its good, sometimes not. Use your seat like you would in dressage. Push the horse up into your hands and ride the horse to the fence. It helps with leg position and rein length too.

I like how in both photos your position barely changes. I think you look pretty great though. :)!

I agree with this, but I would add that you are in front of the saddle in the first pic. Your horse should jump and you go with it, not the other way around. But good job!

JumperGirl 10-25-2010 08:02 PM

haha thanks guys yehh first show on him and only my 3rd show period. My trainer says im dumb because i picked the hardest horse/pony in the barn to ride. Heyy what can i say i love a challenge.

WildSenses 10-25-2010 09:10 PM

Ahhh good girl! Challanges are always the way to go. They make you a better rider in every single way, mind and body.

haleylvsshammy 10-27-2010 12:57 AM

This isn't a critique about you... it's just a safety thing because I don't want anybody injured!

The first picture kind of scares me. The horse looks like his front leg is dragging on the jump- not a good thing to see. Perhaps some grids could help tighten up his front leg? I hope some people with more experience come in and offer some advice to tighten his leg. Maybe it's just that picture, but still, it scares me.

JumperGirl 10-27-2010 08:45 PM

yehh it was my fault my insrtuctor was yelling something to me and i got distracted and didnt squeeze to tell him it was time to jump, in time and in result hit rubbed the rail. Do you know of any grids that will help him tighten his front legs? thanks a bunch