The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Back problems? or attitude? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/back-problems-attitude-6834/)

i-love-stitch 03-11-2008 02:21 PM

Back problems? or attitude?

my 4 year old paint gelding has been having some back problems but i have had my chiro out a few times and he has adjusted all he can now, my gelding Stitch will doeverything i askhimto walking and trotting but when i ask him to lope he will throw a buck, this isnt totally out of the norm for him as he does think hes tough sometimes but with the recentback problems i dont know if its attitude or if he IS still sore? Does anyone know of any really good back muscle stregnthening excersises?

SonnyWimps 03-11-2008 02:36 PM

Re: Back problems? or attitude?

Quote:

Originally Posted by i-love-stitch
my 4 year old paint gelding has been having some back problems but i have had my chiro out a few times and he has adjusted all he can now, my gelding Stitch will doeverything i askhimto walking and trotting but when i ask him to lope he will throw a buck, this isnt totally out of the norm for him as he does think hes tough sometimes but with the recentback problems i dont know if its attitude or if he IS still sore? Does anyone know of any really good back muscle stregnthening excersises?

I don't know any stregnthening excersizes for you to do, but when you lunge him, does he also buck when you ask him to lope? It could be an attitude, but it could also be pain. What do you do after he bucks? Do you continue until he actually does lope, or do you stop?

imdreamin 03-11-2008 04:02 PM

"tickle" under his belly by sctatching back and forth, he will tighten his belly muscles and hunch his back up a little. That is what I suggest to my clients.

JustDressageIt 03-11-2008 09:45 PM

Working him in a proper frame will strengthen those muscles.

i-love-stitch 03-12-2008 08:07 AM

On the lunge line MOST of the time he's fine maybe a few bursts of energy now with the warm weather but i make him lope until he actually settles down. For the most part i can tell his feelings about it when he bucks with his ears but lately, i dont know its been harder to tell. Hes smart and has done the whole throwing a fit thing to get out of work and it took me just riding through it and just telling him agian that im the boss and he cant just do what he wants but with this he could actually be having back problems or it could just be attitude after such a break off.
Quote:

"tickle" under his belly by sctatching back and forth, he will tighten his belly muscles and hunch his back up a little. That is what I suggest to my clients.
Do that to work his back muscles?

SonnyWimps 03-12-2008 09:18 AM

have you had a chiro out recently? Tell them that he bucks at a lope and see what they think.

Does your saddle fit alright? Has your horse gained or lost weight? That will make a saddle that used to fit properly, not to.

nikelodeon79 03-12-2008 12:27 PM

I had a horse with a sore back due to an ill fitting saddle. I don't know a whole lot about horse chiros, etc. but what I did was give him a year off from riding to recuperate.

.Delete. 03-12-2008 12:44 PM

A year? Thats a bit much.

i-love-stitch 03-12-2008 02:08 PM

yes, i had my chiro out last week for a follow up visit and he said that if this sdjustment doesnt hold then my next call should be my vet but he said to go easy for a while and biuild those muscles back up so thats what im doing and if anyone has any excersises that they know of that would be great, like and on the ground things or lunging. I have had my saddle checked for fit and it all fits.

nikelodeon79 03-12-2008 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by .Delete.
A year? Thats a bit much.

Yes, probably overkill but I wanted to be sure he was okay... better safe than sorry!!

I should add that the back problem was so bad that when I got on him (right before I figured out what was going on), he reared up and flipped over backwards (which probably didn't help his back any). I had a vet check him out and he recommended some time off from riding. I've since learned a lot about proper saddle fit. :?