The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Saddle Fit? Gullet Clearance? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/saddle-fit-gullet-clearance-68350/)

Rosebud64 10-25-2010 01:40 PM

Saddle Fit? Gullet Clearance?

I just purchased a new Rocking R Saddle. Rode for the first time Saturday in it and LOVED it! My mare didn't have any dry spots under the saddle except along her spine. The only slight concern I had, was that it seemed to sit farther down on her withers than I am used to. As I rode, I placed my hand between the gullet and her withers, and although there was some pressure, it did not squeeze my fingers or hurt in any way. Thoughts?

MyBoyPuck 10-25-2010 08:49 PM

Definitely read the sticky at the top of this page called does your saddle really fit. There's a very informative video there. It will show you exactly where to place your saddle and what the appropriate clearances should be.

tinyliny 10-25-2010 09:02 PM

could be that the angle of the bar is perfect for your horse, but it's just too wide and is allowing the pomel to sit too low. If you cannot get at least two fingers in, then it's too wide.

rumba12 10-26-2010 05:34 AM

The two finger clearance is meant when you are not in the saddle. the OP is talking about being in the saddle.
It's also an indicator...As long as you have no pressure on the whither when you're in the saddle you are OK.
OP, maybe you need to post pics of the saddle with you in it.

luvs2ride1979 10-26-2010 07:45 AM

A low gullet doesn't always mean the saddle is too wide. It can be that the gullet is just shallow or the horse's withers are high.

You might be placing the saddle a bit too far forward. Some pictures would be good, with and without the saddle pad.

If it's placed right and the fit is good, then a saddle pad with a wither cutout may be a good option. I like the felt pads with an actual cutout, not the pads that are cut back with a strap holding the front together. The pads with the strap will often press down in to the withers.