The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Backing (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/backing-68361/)

Fly 10-25-2010 04:38 PM

Backing

Hi, I'm new so ignore anything wrong.

My horse has been backing when I tell her to go forwards. I kick(Lightly) and give her loose reigns, and click to her among other things. But she still won't go! So does anyone have any tips on curing her?

kcscott85 10-25-2010 05:00 PM

When does she do this? At the barn, in the arena, in a certain corner, or is it all the time?

MN Tigerstripes 10-25-2010 05:04 PM

How well trained is your horse? It's possible your seat is inadvertently telling her to back, so when you tell her to "go" she's going backwards.

barrelracer892 10-25-2010 05:06 PM

Welcome!

How long has she been doing this? Could she be in any sort of pain? For example, the saddle might not fitting properly, her teeth may need to be floated and her bit is bothering her, she could have some sore muscles, etc.

Fly 10-25-2010 05:08 PM

Thanks for replying:)
She does it everywhere, I do wstern, so she'll do it on the trail or in the pasture.
She was trained by a ruff riding cowboy, so she's used to a super strong hand. She's trained completely, just a little spirited. I am not strong handed, I hate hittingthem or slapping them when training. But I guess you have to be strict, so maybe smack her rump with the reigns? Not hard, just enough to feel it.

Brighteyes 10-25-2010 05:10 PM

As Tiger said, it could be you have a very well-trained pony. If so, great. Fixing yourself is sometimes easier then fixing your horse. However, this usually isn't the case with backing up without a 'command'.

She is most likely doing it out of rebellion, especially if she only does it when you are asking her to work or go somewhere she doesn't want to. She doesn't want to listen and doesn't take you seriously. You may have to get tough of her. Tap and click lightly at first. If she doesn't respond, kick harder. If she doesn't respond to that, use a crop. If that doesn't get her moving, or she rears up, backs harder, or otherwise misbehaves, you may need a more experienced rider to help you. :wink:

kcscott85 10-25-2010 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barrelracer892 (Post 793997)
Welcome!

How long has she been doing this? Could she be in any sort of pain? For example, the saddle might not fitting properly, her teeth may need to be floated and her bit is bothering her, she could have some sore muscles, etc.

Definitely look into this. She could be trying to get away from pain.

When that's been ruled out and she backs up, MAKE her back up. If you've been trying to get her going forward and then give up when she backs up, she wins and she's going to do it over and over. By making her back up she'll realize that it's really not that fun and be compliant with going forward since backing up is not natural for a horse.

MN Tigerstripes 10-25-2010 05:18 PM

Do you have access to the previous owner? If so I would get him to come out and watch you ride. He may be "rough and tough" but he is the one who trained this horse and will probably be able to tell you what you are doing wrong.

Fly 10-25-2010 05:18 PM

Sorry Barrelracer892, didn't see ya. :)
She started a monthish ago. And I was riding her bareback with a lead rope. The vet checked her teeth a month ago, so I don't think its pain. She was fine for the last few months we've owned her and before we got her.

Fly 10-25-2010 05:21 PM

Thank guys, I guess I need to be more "strict". Sorry to post such a noob topic too. Its a lot nicer here than YrxD