The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   HELPPPPP i'm going to go nuts!! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/helppppp-im-going-go-nuts-68415/)

beauforever23 10-25-2010 09:33 PM

HELPPPPP i'm going to go nuts!!

Hi! So i haven't really posted anything on here in awhile but, that's cause i've been so busy training a horse and working with my horse but, i'm having a super major problem with this horse i'm working with.

So i have a girl that emailed me saying she owns a chesnut quarter horse that she's having a problem with because he's dangerous and she needs immediate help or she's going to send him to auction and i said that i'd help but i didn't know how much i can actually do. 2 days later i went to see the horse. you could NOT get near that horse without him rearing or charging after you!!! :twisted: I told her that i didn't think there was anything i could do and she begged me to help her soooo i did and finally after 2/3 weeks of working with him he lets you touch him. he hates the halter and would break through it so we would put it on him a bit and take it off. put it back on take it off now he's learning that it's not going to kill him and he's accepted it.:D and he was doing real well so i left and told her if she needed me don't hesitate to call me. this was 4 weeks ago that i left. She just called me 4 days ago and said "it's becoming worse please, please help me" and she can't get on him without him rearing up before she mounts up. tacking up-no problem.. but when she puts her foot in the stirrup to mount up he rears just because she put her foot in the stirrup. so all i could think was it has to be he's sore.. she had a chiropractor come in and he ruled he's ok and the vet said everything is fine and his feet were just done... so what could be wrong? so i'm thinking maybe if i get on him i could solve this problem. the BO came out and i put a lead rope on him and told her to hold him. i got up and he went straight up on his hind legs. i swear that horse has bigger problems!! :twisted: after he stopped with his little escapade i got off him and pet him and just walked around the ring with him. and i tried to get back on. He reared, came down, bucked while galloping and threw me off. I'm done working with that horse. I'm going to get hurt.. so i told her that she needs to get him more help than what i can do but, i think she's going to get rid of him.

Was i wrong?!?!?!?!?! I kinda feel embarrassed :oops:
My issue with my horse is he's getting bored of doing ring work. Is there anything i can do to keep his attention on me and to keep him not bored. I was thinking of doing ground poles and cavalettis. He also really perks up when we jump so maybe some jumping? He's been out of jumping for awhile but he's at a good decent weight.

For those who don't know my horse he's a 16.3hh Thoroughbred and weighs 1300 and the weight says that a good weight for him to be at.
Sorry for ranting but help would be appreciated! :) :D

Charis 10-25-2010 09:55 PM

Sounds like she needs help from a professional adult, and/or needs to figure out where the horse is in pain.

beauforever23 10-25-2010 10:08 PM

i hope she does what is right for the horse. he's real dangerous and honestly i think she is provoking him. I don't know if I was in the wrong for trying to help though. I did nothing to hurt him though and I was just trying to help.

About my horse what can i do to keep him occupied and pay attention to me instead of everything else? I was thinking if i could do some cavalettis with him and ground poles.

*Friendly Bump*

Charis 10-25-2010 10:16 PM

It was very kind of you to help, but horses that have gotten away with murder need professional help. You're likely right that she isn't helping the situation, but having said that, it's easy to do if you don't have the experience to deal with a hard-to-handle, or challenging horse. Advise her to get a trainer, or sell the horse to someone who can handle him.
It honestly sounds like you might benefit from a few lessons as well, and I'm not saying that to be mean- I take lessons as much as I can because it helps me improve, and have another viewpoint. Exercises, and changing things up will keep your horse's attention on you. Ride serpentines, circles, change directions, set up obstacles or poles, and set a goal to learn something new.

beauforever23 10-25-2010 10:23 PM

Thanks Charis :) yeah i take lessons here and there although my money situation is terrible and around here there is no one around here who is cheap. although i have my training certification i still take lessons :) i'm not perfect. lol

Charis 10-25-2010 10:26 PM

Nobody is, beauforever23, nobody is. Can you pick up some books in the mean time? There are some great exercise books out there, such as 101 arena exercises for English and Western riders, which offer some great patterns to ride and practice.

beauforever23 10-25-2010 10:47 PM

yeah i can pick up books. I'll definitely do that tomorrow. Thanks