The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Me and my riding time ((video added)) (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/me-my-riding-time-video-added-6842/)

appylover31803 03-11-2008 06:34 PM

Me and my riding time ((video added))

So today i ventured up to the barn and lunged Vega. She did pretty well but didn't like the caveson so I have to invest in a better one. But i didn't really expect much with a $20 caveson anyways. The surcingle seemed to fit good. I had plans on hooking up the training system, but she seems a little uneasy about it, so I'm saving that for another day. I figure i'll let her get used to it in her stall before she has to work in it.
Then i rode my fiance's horse. Gem is usually a very laid back, can't get him to do much type of guy. I did a lot of walking and some trotting in a half seat to let him stretch out. He was doing good. Kept his head low which was something i wasn't really used to. I also rode him in his halter because he doesn't need a bit. Things were going good for about the first 5 minutes or so. I stopped him, pet him and he let out a couple of snorts. So i thought everything was fine and dandy.
I'm walking along and bam :!: He jumped straight in the air and then kicked out. I flew straight up out of the saddle and landed back on, but to the left side. Gem moved quickly and i was falling off. I let go with my right hand but held on with my left hand i think. Before i hit the ground, i closed my eyes and let go with my other hand. I landed on my lower back i think. Gem cantered and then stopped and looked at me. I got up and got him. He was still acting sort of spooked so i decided to call it a day. I know i should have gotten back on, but didn't want to risk another fall. I turned my camera off and loosened the girth, rolled up my stirrups, packed my camera into its back and walked down to the barn. Gem did a few buck walking back to the barn. I told my friend nicole what happened, and we went through the video and saw it. It was pretty amazing i must say.
It didn't look like Gem meant to do any harm. So i'm thinking he got spooked, or he's in pain somewhere. I'm going to ask if the vet can come out and see if everything's ok.
But i'm fine. A few bruises but nothing big. I'm glad i was wearing my helmet because i'm sure it could have been a lot worse. And the funny thing about it too is that i was thinking of not wearing my helmet, but had this gut feeling i should.
I showed my fiance when i went back to work and he couldn't believe it. It was impressive. haha
But i do think i need time to recover before i ride again. That was my 3rd fall in 12 years of riding. None have been with Vega which i think is odd because Vega does a whole bunch of crazy stuff.
Well, that was my excitement for the day. :D

JustDressageIt 03-11-2008 10:26 PM

Glad you're okay! Sounds like quite the fall!

Do we get to see the video? :wink:

appylover31803 03-11-2008 11:04 PM

well i uploaded it at the office, so i could reply the video and hear my "ooofff!" when i hit the ground. I kept cracking up :lol:

But of course, i lost the wire to upload it to my home computer. :evil:

I've searched the whole room and no luck. It's probably buried under the pile of papers on my desk. Or Napoleon stole it and its....somewhere.

When i go to work tomorrow, i'll edit the video and post it.

FGRanch 03-11-2008 11:45 PM

Glad to hear that you are okay. But now that I know you are I'm gonna laugh. I love the way you tell a story, had me cracking up the whole way thru! I can't wait to see the vid!

Vidaloco 03-12-2008 07:20 AM

Glad your ok and you do tell a good story :lol: Can't wait to see the video. I wish I had a one of my last fall, my husband said I was very graceful and he thought it was a "good" fall. I did too til the pain hit my brain :shock:
I did try to get back on OUCH, silly me.
Let us know what the vet says, it has to be some sort of pain issue.

appylover31803 03-12-2008 11:06 AM

Well the vet should hopefully be coming be coming out soon. If not today, tomorrow, i'm hoping.

I'll mess around with the video and get it up.

I guess i am good at telling what happened. And the funny part is, its all true, none of it is made up. Last night I was still laughing about being launched into the air.

My knee and back are sore today. I'm just glad i have a comfy chair at work. I think i'm going to use that massage chair later too.

FGRanch 03-12-2008 12:58 PM

Good idea about the massage chair!

There is nothing better than a horse rider that can laugh at themselves when they get thrown.

Kudos to you for being so down to earth!

appylover31803 03-12-2008 01:11 PM

Well any way i look at it, it wasn't Gem's fault. If he was in pain, not his fault, if he spooked not his fault.

So i edited the video of windows movie maker thing and i can't upload it to youtube. So i'm trying something else and its taking forever.

I always could post the whole video, but its like 9 min. long and the only part worth watching is the buck/leap.

FGRanch 03-12-2008 01:35 PM

Well that is a good way to look at it! When you get the vid up I'll be sure to watch it! And I promise I will try not to laugh to hard! :D

appylover31803 03-12-2008 01:37 PM

the funniest part of the video is the sound i make when i hit the ground. First time i heard it, i was like "what is that sound?" played it a few times and realized it was me. :oops:

it's still uploading :?