The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Sewing my pony a winter blanket!!! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/sewing-my-pony-winter-blanket-68422/)

PaulyPalomino 10-25-2010 11:21 PM

Sewing my pony a winter blanket!!!

Hi all!!! I was wondering if anyone has sewn a winter blanket for their horses before? I found a pattern on ebay and just bought it! Yeah!!!! I love to sew and this will definately be the biggest thing i have done yet on my sewing machine. I am so excited to get started...anyone have any pointers for me? I will be making it out of 100% cotton canvas material with either fleece or wool lining. I have found all the materials i need to do this for $50.00. Wish me luck!!!:lol:

Reiterin 10-25-2010 11:48 PM

Good luck. Post pictures when you're done. - I've thought about/wanted to sew my own horse blanket too. So I want to know how it goes for you. =)

PaulyPalomino 10-26-2010 04:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a picture of the material that i bought for making the horse blanket. The outer shell is burgandy canvas that i will weatherproof and the lining is a fleece aztec/horse print that I found! I cant wait for the pattern to get here so i can get started on it. It should only take me about a day maybe two tops to finish it!!!

Ktibb 10-26-2010 08:07 PM

Yes yes yes! please post pictures!! Good luck! I love DIY projects :)

rumba12 10-27-2010 03:44 AM

Really nice fleece you found there. I can't wait to see the finished product.

traildancer 10-27-2010 06:35 PM

I have made numerous sheets from the Suitability pattern. I assume that is the pattern you purchased? For my daughter I made one with coated cordura on the outside and wool on the inside. I suggest that you preshrink the fabric before sewing it. It will get wet when the horse is wearing it no matter how much you waterproof it and then the lining may shrink more than the outer shell and cause bubbling or twisting.

Another tip--I used 1" elastic for the leg straps for give and 2" elastic for the belly band. I had seen that on purchased turnouts and incorporated it!

It's a nice pattern, if a little daunting because you have to draw it yourself. I just got a purchased blanket that I knew fit and traced around that, allowing for the darts in the rump.

By the way, burgundy is my favorite color! I'm sure your blanket will turn out lovely.

Gidget 10-27-2010 06:41 PM

im excited to see! I wish I knew how to sew sometimes.

PaulyPalomino 10-27-2010 07:39 PM

Thanks for the tips, i never would have thought to use the elastic! I will definately preshrink the material...:)

PaulyPalomino 10-27-2010 07:54 PM

Yes it is a suitability pattern...looks really neat to me!

equinesmitten 10-27-2010 07:58 PM

Awesome, can't wait to see the finished project!