The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Uneven horse! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/uneven-horse-68442/)

Tessel24 10-26-2010 06:57 AM

Uneven horse!

Hi!
I'm in the process of training my first horse, and he is far worse on the right than he is on the left. I was making my way through the problem then the poor boy got sick for a few months so I'm back to sqaure one! The biggest problem I'm having is that he (generally) won't canter on the right lead! No matter what I try with my legs, hands, on the lunge lead or under saddle. He's a very 'willing to please' boy so I know he's trying but I'm just having no luck. I'm after some info and advice on anything and everything to do with this problem...what lead should I try first, any different tactics etc. Please help, as I know he's very talented, we just have to get over this hurdle!!

Thanks all :-).

Alwaysbehind 10-26-2010 07:06 AM

All critters are happier on one side than the other. I am right handed for example. I can write with my left hand but it is not near as easy as it is with my right hand.

Horses are no exception to this. My horse prefers his left lead.

Your boy sounding so impossible to get on the right lead makes me wonder if there is something physical going on. Being more difficult about one lead is one thing, being totally unwilling is another.

Has he had the vet or chiropractor look at him?

Tessel24 10-26-2010 07:11 AM

Yeah, all my horses have been better on one side than the other, but this is more than usual.
I haven't yet had a chiropractor out to him, I'm trying to decide what to do at the moment, I have him at an agistment property, so as you can imagine there are a lot of different opinions flying around about if I should get a chiropractor or a 'therapist' etc.
His back right leg turns out slightly (when he's standing), could this have something to do with it?
It's so strange, I have been riding for 12 years but this is my first time training, and I feel so thrown in the deep end! Unfortunately I'm a uni student too, so getting in trainers all the time isn't a viable option money wise. I'm desperate not to let his talent go to waste!