The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   stupid question lol (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/stupid-question-lol-68528/)

Frankiee 10-26-2010 07:15 PM

stupid question lol

hey everyone,

I got a stupid question for all of you's lol :P

Can horse get well basecly easely lost in a dark storm??

Cause evrytime I go see my horses when it is clooming, raining hard and windy if I and them finding them in the field they stay there as in they dont go and take shelter in there shelter! Then when I start walking to the barn were there box stall/ shelter is they fallow me in a very skitish way as in there not shure and they stick right to my side like clue. I dont get it!
Anyone have any ideas why or if there horse do that ????

Shalani 10-26-2010 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankiee (Post 795391)
hey everyone,

I got a stupid question for all of you's lol :P

Can horse get well basecly easely lost in a dark storm??

Cause evrytime I go see my horses when it is clooming, raining hard and windy if I and them finding them in the field they stay there as in they dont go and take shelter in there shelter! Then when I start walking to the barn were there box stall/ shelter is they fallow me in a very skitish way as in there not shure and they stick right to my side like clue. I dont get it!
Anyone have any ideas why or if there horse do that ????

Very few horses will take shelter in a heavy storm. Just like you should never take shelter under a tree.... Risk of lightening strikes and falling branches.

So they are not getting lost lol

mbender 10-26-2010 09:00 PM

I agree but most horses would rather stand out in the weather than to feel clausterphobic and potentially trapped. They are prey animals and would rather be able to run than be caught in a corner. its kinda funny how they will stand out and freeze than go into a shelter. Some horses will take shelter some won't.
Posted via Mobile Device

Walkamile 10-26-2010 09:12 PM

Very true mbender, and that is the part that just pisses me off! Seeing mine standing in the middle of a sleet storm in February! Especially when their barn is all nicely bedded with fluffy shavings.

To the OP, horses see better than us at night, so their being where they are isn't because they can't find their way to the barn. One of the many curiosity's about horses! Gotta love em.:wink:

Alwaysbehind 10-27-2010 08:19 AM

No such thing as a stupid question!

Very reasonable question considering how many times our (general our) horses stand outside in dark miserable weather.

kitten_Val 10-27-2010 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbender (Post 795508)
I agree but most horses would rather stand out in the weather than to feel clausterphobic and potentially trapped. They are prey animals and would rather be able to run than be caught in a corner

Hmmmmmm... Mine RUN into the stalls even when light shower starts. Especially paint (it's hard to kick her out there). And they are generally 24/7 out, grew good coat already, and my paint was running wild (meaning she didn't even know what shelter is much less stall) till she was almost 2 yo. :wink:

Frankiee 10-30-2010 08:13 PM

okai thanks everyone thats makes more sense lol :P