The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Western Pleasure (http://www.horseforum.com/western-pleasure/)
-   -   New saddle :D (http://www.horseforum.com/western-pleasure/new-saddle-d-68537/)

Nickers2002 10-26-2010 08:11 PM

New saddle :D

I gots a new saddle. Lol. And this one better fit the "big" boy. It's being used for local open shows and smaller local breed shows. We're just going for the expirience really and I've always lover the older saddles. They just don't make them the same anymore :wink: Any thoughts though on "enhancing" the look? It definately needs a good cleaning from the pictures - I was thinking about replacing the conchos with blingy ones. What do you think?

Used 16" Billy Cook Western Saddle for Sale - FREE Ads

Saranna

wyominggrandma 10-26-2010 09:02 PM

I love my Billy Cook saddle, most comfortable thing I have ever ridden. Just get some new conchos and bling it out a bit a good cleaning might make it look really nice without adding any bling.

Appyfreak 11-02-2010 02:05 PM

No pic for me. But I highly reccomend Skidmores leather cream. Best stuff EVER. It will take nasty dry, stiff leather and restore it to soft supple, and beautifull with just a couple applications.

dee 11-02-2010 02:13 PM

I like the older Billy Cook saddles. The newer ones aren't nearly as well made, IMHO. Blame it on the INS. A few years ago they raided the saddle shop and almost all of the employees wound up getting deported. It was really sad, they were true master saddle makers. (I don't know why people run down Mexican saddles, when the ones I've seen were pretty nice.)

Ever since then, the saddles haven't been as nice, and the price shot up. Pooh! (And they don't make them in my size...double POOH!)

Appyfreak 11-02-2010 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dee (Post 803061)
I like the older Billy Cook saddles. The newer ones aren't nearly as well made, IMHO. Blame it on the INS. A few years ago they raided the saddle shop and almost all of the employees wound up getting deported. It was really sad, they were true master saddle makers. (I don't know why people run down Mexican saddles, when the ones I've seen were pretty nice.)

Ever since then, the saddles haven't been as nice, and the price shot up. Pooh! (And they don't make them in my size...double POOH!)

LOL. I don't like mexican saddles because they hurt me. I think the tree it to wide and it makes my pubic bone pop.

I agree, most of the Mexican leather products I have seen (not the mass produced crap stuff) Have been very high in lether quality, and detail. Just a couple days ago I picked up a pair of split reins. They were thick, and soft like butter. I saw a stamp on them.... translated in said made in Mexico. They were as nice of quality as my Buckaroo leather co. reins.

smrobs 11-02-2010 02:44 PM

That's great. :-) The older billy cooks are the best. I grew up riding in those.
Posted via Mobile Device

Belle 12-28-2010 11:12 PM

When we were in the States I purchased a Billy Cook Saddle unfortunatly when we got home it didnt fit the horse..Silly me...
I have learnt my lesson now and only buy saddle that are tested on the horse first.
Definately add some bling..I love bling..

flytobecat 12-28-2010 11:26 PM

I couldn't load the picts, but agree with everyone else. Billy Cooks are nice saddles.
As for the Mexican Saddles, just like everything else. I've seen some crappy ones, and some made extremely well.

tinyliny 12-28-2010 11:50 PM

Were there pictures to be seen? would have liked to see the pic. I ride in a BC. How old is "old"? Mine if very comfortable. The seat is not so deep that I cannot repostion myself easily if needed.