The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Meet the Community (http://www.horseforum.com/meet-community/)
-   -   Hello from West Texas! (http://www.horseforum.com/meet-community/hello-west-texas-68562/)

Giddyupno 10-26-2010 11:58 PM

Hello from West Texas!

Hello everyone. I live in Odessa Texas and just bought a horse so I could go trail riding after 15 years of not owning a horse. I rode for years from age 14 to 25 and loved every second. I have been dreaming of the good ole days and finally just bought a beautiful Snowflake Appaloosa mare so I could start trail riding again and I have a problem I have never encountered before and I don't know why! I am scared, anxious, nervous to get on her and ride! WTH? I just do not understand why I am feeling this way. I was so filled with excitement to get a horse again and now that I have her, I am too scared to ride her. Anyone ever have this happen before? I don't know what to do lol. I have no one to ride with, I think that is part of the problem. I think I am scared of the what if something happens and I get hurt and I am all alone possibility. I just don't know what to do lol. It is very embarrassing! There is no one close to me who rides. All of my friends and family who ride have moved away so it is just me. :?

tinyliny 10-27-2010 12:44 AM

Wish you were up here, I would take you out riding with me! I love having company and tho I ride alone plenty, I am not nearly as relaxed as when I have company. Trail riding alone is not the best idea.
Anyway, first to say welcom to the forum!
I did the math and you must be around 40? I think that has a lot to do with why you are experieinceing paralyzing fear now, something unthinkable when you were younger. You'll just have to remember that you are NOT the same person you were back then. You are by no means old (I am 52!) but you aren't a teen/20 something and you are more aware of what falling off could mean to you. That just has to be accepted. You have to come to your new reality.
However, I bet that in time the new you will have forgotten that you used to be different and will be out in the horse world in a way that is perfectly fitting for who you are NOW. Your fear is temporary. It is NOT you, it's just a temporary state and will pass. I bet you used to be afraid at times but you have just forgotten. We always forget the bad and remember the best.
Anyway, take your time to get to know your beautiful mare ( I LOVE appys! Look at my Avatar!). Work with her on the ground. Show her off to others.
Try to find someone to ride with you. You will want things that keep you distracted from your fears. But until you know this horse well, it's best if you stick close to home and take it easy. Soon you will be loping along!

Reiterin 10-27-2010 12:57 AM

Hi! Welcome to the forum. Congrats on the horse and getting back into riding. I hope you find someone to ride with (local club?) to help you get out on those trails. (I can't ride alone either!)

ArabianDream 10-27-2010 09:38 AM

Hello! I live in Big Spring but I ride in the Midland area (near Greenwood). I just bought a horse too, and I know exactly what you are talking about. This is my first horse and I'm excited , and nervous, about it!!

Do you ride Western or English? I ride English but my goal is to become comfortable enough to go out trail riding (once I know the area!).

The stables I ride at are planning to do some trail rides in the spring, open to everyone of all riding disciplines. You'd be welcome to join us!

netty83 10-27-2010 11:29 AM

Hi there. I totally know where you are coming from. I used to ride from the age of 11-16 then found more interesting things to do. Although I stopped riding we have always had horses in the family since i was a little filly lol so have always been around them and handling them. I have recently got back into riding and am now 27. I am exactly the same as you. When i go to get on i sometimes feel physically sick and when I am on that mounting block I look for every little thing that could be used as an excuse not to get on - tack not right, she moved, she's moody today literally everything. It got so bad that i booked myself a refresher course (not schooling but hacking/trail riding as that is what i wanted to do again. I soon realised that i had matured and that I looked at the risks more now I was older for example I have kids now and falling from a horse seems that much more dangerous as who would look after my kids if i got injured and things like a stormy day/surroundings affect me. My instructor says not to banish those fears as they just shout back at you louder and louder but to rationalise the fear as a minor risk. Things like your balance isn't what it used to be are all real problems but start slowly and perhaps just try sitting on your horse for a good 5-10 mins without going anywhere. Lots of deep breaths and singing always helps keep me calm. please don't worry I have had around 5-6 lessons now and although i still get scared of things like my surroundings and what could happen I am learning that yes it could happen but most probably won't. good luck.

ArabianDream 10-27-2010 11:55 AM

I'm 28 and just got back into riding too. I rode in Britain from the age of about 9 to 13, then had to give it up due to costs. I've had some refresher lessons and my confidence is coming back :) Now that I have my own horse I can really work on my riding when ever I want.

Giddyupno 10-27-2010 12:29 PM

Thank you for the warm welcomes and friendly advice! I am 45, will be 46 in December. The last 5 years of owning horses I did not ride, I had minis and Shetlands and drove them. I ran an ad on Craigslist to see if there are other people close to me who want to get together to trail ride. Will see how that goes. I don't have a trailer so have to keep it close to home. I am going to work on getting a trailer next so that I can go places.

equinesmitten 10-27-2010 06:25 PM

Welcome! Did the previous owners of your horse say anything about how your horse trails out alone? We have 4 horses and two do really well on their own as they are confident horses, one is questionable but I take him anyway and one I won't even try alone :) I ordered a cell phone holder that straps onto my leg just in case I'm on the ground and lose my pony :) That helps me feel better about going out alone.:wink:

Giddyupno 11-13-2010 07:16 PM

Well I saddled her up and my son got on her and she acts very green in the bridle as in acts like she knows nothing. They said they ride her in a hack or Bosal cause she don't like a bit in her mouth so I got a hack, Anyway, I lead then for about 2 miles out on the trails behind our house and she walks out nice and has a great level headset, yells for other horses now and then and watches everything, I turned him loose a time or two and he rode her along fine but when going to stop she takes several tries to get her to stop, same with turning, no neck rein at all, direct rein only and green as heck with that. So today I saddled her up and got on her in the backyard, my first time on her with a saddle, I had just been on her the once bareback for just like 2 minutes, well today she stood there great while I saddled her, and got on, then I tried to get her to walk out and she just turns her head and looks at me, I finally get her to turn a little then she stops her foot and shakes her head and starts backing up like she is getting mad. I waited til she stopped and was standing calmly then I got off and tied her up still saddled and came in here to let my nerves settle. I am so disappointed. I found out the girl I got her from is a horse trader so who knows what is true about the mare and what isn't. So I have this beautiful mare I can't ride and can't afford a trainer. Somebody just shoot me.

GreyRay 11-13-2010 07:18 PM

Hello! We used to live out in west TX, beautiful land! My dad was farming cotton. :)
Posted via Mobile Device