The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Talking about Sheets... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/talking-about-sheets-68597/)

chinofiesta93 10-27-2010 10:19 AM

Talking about Sheets...

I always work myself up when I think about this, because I just can't figure it out.

So, take the average waterproof sheet, and you throw it on your horse who has a relatively decent winter coat, but gets mighty shivery when she's wet.
The "weight" of that sheet does smoosh her winter hair so it's flat and can't raise to trap in warmth. In the end, is she actually COLD?
Does she need a somewhat thicker blanket to replace the warmth her own natural coat would provide?

Or, is she still warm even though her coat is flat?

Thank you for any feedback. I seriously lie awake at night thinking about this. LOL!

Alwaysbehind 10-27-2010 10:28 AM

It is one of those topics that I am sure you will get two very opposite opinions on.

I do use a water proof breathable sheet when it is very cold and wet and I have not found it causes a problem. But I also increase hay given when it gets cold.

I think it is a horse dependent question. You will have to try it with your horse and see if it works or does not work.

chinofiesta93 10-27-2010 10:52 AM

Thanks, Always.

They are on round bails throughout the winter, so I'm not worried about hay.
I suppose in the end, it's better to have a dry, but maybe somewhat cold horse compared to a soaking wet, shivering one!

Thanks again!

MN Tigerstripes 10-27-2010 11:13 AM

I think that's why they always talk about "layering" blankets. I've never been a blanketer and am not a fan of it in most circumstances because of the hair smooshing (:lol:) factor. But when we get weather like today (sleety, rainy, very windy/cold) when the horses don't have a full winter coat I would like to use a waterproof sheet. When I get this kind of crud I usually feed on the lee side of the barn or in their lean to/stall area.

So, I think in the case of sleet/freezing rain it probably is more helpful to have a waterproof something on than nothing at all. Unless they have good shelter where you can feed.

Alwaysbehind 10-27-2010 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MN Tigerstripes (Post 796072)
Unless they have good shelter where you can feed.

Great point MN!

mooney 10-27-2010 01:07 PM

Depends on the horse, and owner I figure. Personally my horse gets chilled with just a rainy sheet, in the winter, shivering. She won't eat any more hay than 25 pounds, and her winter coat is short, so in my case I have to use a heavy weight water proof blanket.