The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Boots VS Polo Wraps (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/boots-vs-polo-wraps-68687/)

ponyrawr 10-27-2010 10:45 PM

Boots VS Polo Wraps

I use polo wraps for flat work, and I have been using them for jumping. But recently a good horse friend told me it might be better to use boots for jumping (like Eskadrons) instead. Which do you think is better for jumping, and why? My pony will sometimes hit a rail if I bury her beneath the fence (obviously my fault) and occasionally just if she's being lazy (though she's pretty much a rusher) but she has never actually knocked a rail.

Fifty 10-27-2010 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ponyrawr (Post 796918)
I use polo wraps for flat work, and I have been using them for jumping. But recently a good horse friend told me it might be better to use boots for jumping (like Eskadrons) instead. Which do you think is better for jumping, and why? My pony will sometimes hit a rail if I bury her beneath the fence (obviously my fault) and occasionally just if she's being lazy (though she's pretty much a rusher) but she has never actually knocked a rail.

I'm not a jumper, let alone an english rider, but I'm assuming boots would be better. they are thicker, most likely won't come undone, vent pretty well(depending on brand) and support tendons. Polos can come unwrapped and don't support as many tendons. But Polo wraps are cheaper and come in more colors, but boots last longer.

ponyrawr 10-27-2010 11:00 PM

Well, my polo wraps coming undone are never a worry for me. I like polo wraps because I like the fact that they warm the tendons and keep them nice and supple during the ride. I've never used boots before, so I'm wondering the pros and cons of boots.

Beau Baby 10-27-2010 11:35 PM

If your looking for protection it depends on the boot. Open fronts don't really offer any protection on the front of the leg, just 2 straps running across to hold the boot on. Open fronts do however protect against horses hitting the backs of their own legs/fetlocks. I've always been told open fronts are used as protection but also to teach a horse not to hit a rail because with open fronts they're protected but they also feel it when they hit a rail.

Then there's the Woof type boots most commonly used for cross-country. They're harder then polo wraps but not as hard as Open Fronts. They surround the leg and are used for protection against cross-country{solid} obstacles. Definitely better than polo's. In my opinion you should use boots for jumping just because they add more protection incase you hit a rail or your horse takes off bad and happens to clip his fetlocks or leg.

Snookeys 10-28-2010 02:31 AM

Polos don't offer as much support as SMBs. Consider the difference between you wearing an ankle brace, or you wearing an ace-bandage.

Bandera 10-28-2010 03:03 AM

Going with what snookeys said i dont really like the SMBs because horse cant move there fetlock as much, depending on how people put the boots and 99% of the people i have seen put those boots WAY TO LOW I CANT STAND IT!!!!! Umm... Polo most def for flat and then i would use boots for jumping because i was my horses legs to be protected, i understand the whole tendon support jumping but i dont like it offers so much support for me to risk my horse nicking his tendon with his foot.

petitepyromaniac 10-29-2010 01:58 PM

As far as cross country goes, definitely boots. Polo wraps run the risk of snagging... that wouldn't be good.