The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   branding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/branding-687/)

englishcowgrl 02-11-2007 04:09 PM

branding

okay, i have a question...how do you brand a horse..i use to know then i forgot :oops: anyway...could anyone tell me?

crackrider 02-11-2007 10:47 PM

Actually come to think of it neither can I!!!!! :oops: :D Someone tell us!!!

bubba13 02-11-2007 11:11 PM

Freeze branding--use liquid nitrogen to "burn" the hair follicles, causing the hair to turn white.

Hot branding--use fire/coals to superheat a branding iron, which totally destoys to follicles and the hair never grows back.

horsecrazy15 02-12-2007 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubba13
Freeze branding--use liquid nitrogen to "burn" the hair follicles, causing the hair to turn white.

Hot branding--use fire/coals to superheat a branding iron, which totally destoys to follicles and the hair never grows back.

when they hot brand do the horses feel anything?
and the same question 4 freeze branding aswell?

bubba13 02-12-2007 02:03 PM

Hot branding, yes, is extremely painful, which is part of the reason it has fallen out of popular use on horses, although it is still used on many larger horse production ranches. It is also used very commonly on cattle.

Freeze branding doesn't hurt nearly as much.

horsecrazy15 02-12-2007 02:07 PM

i am totally against hot branding, what about you??

englishcowgrl 02-14-2007 10:50 AM

thanks i thought it was something like that...i think brands can be pretty but then i think " wow, that must really hurt them when they get put on" so how bad would the freeze branding hurt?

crackrider 02-14-2007 10:36 PM

I'm familiar with hot branding in cattle! I've helped do it and watched a number of times but always cringe when i smell the smeel of burning hair!! :(
I always wondered how they brand horses at the big studs.

Desert Rat 02-17-2007 10:29 AM

I've branded many hundred head of cattle with a hot iron and many horses. The freeze branding is also painfull but the advantage is you can take them to a vet and have them tranqd before you freeze brand. When ya get burned through that hair and the hide starts burning it kind of smells like BBQ and makes ya hungry.

justcallmekate 02-17-2007 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Desert Rat
When ya get burned through that hair and the hide starts burning it kind of smells like BBQ and makes ya hungry.

Well that certainly puts a new twist on Barbeque.

With race horses they tattoo their inside of their upper lip. I believe it's something mostly only racers/ex-racers have.