The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Videos (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-videos/)
-   -   Very embarrassing... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-videos/very-embarrassing-68701/)

Snookeys 10-28-2010 12:47 AM

Very embarrassing...

I found the video from my FIRST EVER SHOW :) I post this hesitantly... this is some of my worst riding. I was 14, and I'd been riding for a little over a year leisurely and without formal lessons. I leased the horse in exchange for volunteer work at the stable he was used at (a public riding stable). The owner of the stable let me and another girl take a couple horses to Versailles that year for 4H. It was my FIRST show, and I trained this horse how to pivot, sidepass, etc all by myself. He knew how to do it, but my nerves got to me and I rushed through each class. The horse was also a handful and a VERY forward horse... I was only allowed to show him in western pleasure classes (laughable) because he was a public riding horse (for experienced riders and as a lead horse) so his owner rather him be taught to go SLOW than FAST. He's a nervous horse by nature and he was actually afraid of the cones...

Needless to say, our first show was a disaster. He reared on me twice (difficult to see because my mother's camera job is awful) and pooped in every class. He was very difficult to control the entire time.. eh, just watch.

Citrus 10-28-2010 12:52 AM

Good thing you learned a lot that show :)

mbender 10-28-2010 07:54 AM

How funny. Totally reminded me of the first time my friend and I showed my QH horse. Neither one of us were trainers by any means. I had no clue, we just did it. Showed her in halter. She was so small and thin against the other competitors. She was super calm but when she stood there she cocked her hoof. Real Professional!:) then my friend took her to try barrels. What a mess! This is how stupid we were. I always rode her in a western bit low port. The day of the show, my friend stuck a mechanical hackamore on. When it was her turn to go my horse got so confused and ended up sliding onto her side scraping herself and my friend. I vowed to never do that again and I never have.
Posted via Mobile Device

shianne35 10-28-2010 02:39 PM

well things can't always go smoothly you know, lol.
looks like a saddlebred the way he's carrying his head and tail.

Alwaysbehind 10-28-2010 02:41 PM

I think it nicely shows that even when we think we can do it all ourselves, having a professional to help us is probably best.

Snookeys 10-28-2010 03:07 PM

Yeah he is a saddlebred. When he was brought to the stable, he was extremely skinny and his tail was cut super short.

Alwaysbehind - I didn't even know what a "professional" looked like at the time. The only horses I knew were the 15 or so in the barn, and the only "instructor" was the barn operator. I definitely didn't think I could do it all myself. It was just my only option; and I have a lot of fun learning from this horse. He taught me just as much as I taught him.