The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   OTTB Pride: first trail ride (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/ottb-pride-first-trail-ride-68724/)

wren 10-28-2010 07:36 AM

OTTB Pride: first trail ride

1 Attachment(s)
i recently took on an OTTB. My friend had him during his let-down and started him back up again a little. We've been working around the farm on bending and stretching, and he's been doing great!
Yesterday was so beautiful the trails were calling, so we went to a local park.
I swear this horse is not a 5 yr. old track winner! i think he's a draft horse in a TB body! he was so laid back and chill. Deer jumping in front of us? No problem! bridges big and small? He lead the pack! Gallop along the fence line? Not even a pull to go faster or the feeling of him wanting to "race" my friend's horse! Walking into a shallow river to get a drink and splash around? <<<<<screeeech>>>>>(that would be his brakes) NO WAY! Lol! there was nothing on that trail ride he couldn't or wouldn't do until we go to the river. then it was like trying to get a really stubborn donkey to move. there is always next time. :lol:
that's all really, just wanted to share how proud i was of him. :D

Here's a pic: Cappella, 17h 5yr old TB
Attachment 44668

RedTree 10-28-2010 07:41 AM

thats great, my tbs a bit like that. not phased by anything but when water comes is always a bit hessitant I had to get off last time.
I forgot my boots had holes in them haha so i had squishy feet for the rest of the ride

MyBoyPuck 10-28-2010 07:18 PM

That's a fantastic first ride. My OTTB went on his first trail ride as a 5 year old too and acted like he'd done it all his life. He thinks he part fish, so water is definitely not his issue!! Now deer jumping out in front of us....

GreyRay 10-28-2010 07:33 PM

He is the most beautiful TB I have ever seen! and I'm not a TB person.
Posted via Mobile Device

tinyliny 10-28-2010 08:27 PM

That is a gorgeous Thoroughbred! You are soooo lucky!

wren 10-29-2010 07:26 AM

Thanks guys! He is such a sweet boy!
My other guy is the fish Puck, he can't get his feet in without acting like he is going to just lay down. and he has!

Katesrider011 10-29-2010 07:45 AM

I've just started riding horses an my horse is fairly new. I'm gonna take her through a trail around my property sometime soon.
Posted via Mobile Device