The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Showmanship (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-showmanship/)
-   -   Proper Seat in Horsemanship (Rant) (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-showmanship/proper-seat-horsemanship-rant-68757/)

aforred 10-28-2010 01:54 PM

Proper Seat in Horsemanship (Rant)

I've been watching the app worlds on the webcam, and I just had to say this. When you are in a horsemanship class, put your rear in the middle of your saddle (don't sit on the cantle), and for Pete's sake, don't ride on your crotch!

Now, most of the exhibitors have a wonderful seat, but there have been a few, in more than one class, that are riding that way. Why??? It can't be comfortable.

Watching this show makes me miss my Smoky horse. He was an AWESOME horsemanship horse.

PBritton2U 10-28-2010 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aforred (Post 797676)
When you are in a horsemanship class, put your rear in the middle of your saddle (don't sit on the cantle), and for Pete's sake, don't ride on your crotch!

This could easily be said about the hunt seat equitation classes I watched at Congress. Sooooo many breed show riders have NO seat. None. Nada. Zip. Worse, the riders they pick for the finals--not always, but often enough--are the ones that sit there like a Barbie doll. The AQHA hunt seat class (with the exception of our World show) has morphed into a class where the person riding the extremely broke horse, the "pattern machine", will make the finals; Never mind the person who actually knows how to ride hunt seat, or who has--yeegads!--contact with the reins.

On another message board I frequent, we've all been talking about it. We figured out that our World show almost always uses at least one USEF "R" rated judge for the Hunt Seat/Over Fence classes. That's why you see some truly marvelous riders win our world titles. Unfortunately, that's not the case at the majors. I would assume the same is true within APHA and ApHC.

It's a huge problem. I've put in a call to my state affiliate in the hopes of becoming a director. I'm going to our next AQHA conference to rattle some cages. This kind of crap has got to stop.

As someone on the other message board said--if people were winning western horsemanship classes while picking up the wrong lead, or holding the reins wrong, there'd be a HUGE outcry. But everyone looks the other way when major mistakes are made in the HSE class. We narrowed it down to one, simple problem--most of our HSE judges don't know what the frack they're doing when it comes to English riding.

Okay, and so that's MY rant for the day. :lol:

Pam

aforred 10-28-2010 03:40 PM

I was watching this thinking, "If that person went out to, oh let's say move cattle, they would NOT be sitting like that."

Alwaysbehind 10-28-2010 03:42 PM

Do you have a link to the broadcast?

aforred 10-28-2010 03:44 PM

Show Web Cams

They're placing a WP class in the John Justin right now, then they're gonna run open poles. (Always fun to watch app games.) They're done for the day in the Watt arena.

Alwaysbehind 10-28-2010 03:46 PM

Thanks. I hope they have something fun to watch tomorrow....

aforred 10-28-2010 03:59 PM

Tomorrow evening is freestyle reining, but there is a link to the schedule on the left hand side of the webcam page.

PBritton2U 10-28-2010 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aforred (Post 797780)
I was watching this thinking, "If that person went out to, oh let's say move cattle, they would NOT be sitting like that."

I have frequently used the, "Hunt seat equitation riders should look as if they could take a fence," argument and you know what the long-time Quarter Horse exhibitors say back? "But most of our hunter under saddle horses don't JUMP."

BANGS HEAD.

I always want to ask what that has to do with the price of tea in China? I mean, just because you don't work cows/jump horses/run barrels doesn't mean you get a pass on knowing how to RIDE.

Part of our problem, too, is that there's a lot of old school types that tend to hyperventilate when people mention the word "change". You should have heard the ruckus over the HUS horses a few years back. Yeesh. You'd have thought we were asking people to chop their horse's heads off rather than let them move out a bit, stretch their nose, keep them level with the poll instead of down to their knees. I actually had one person say to me, "Excuse me, but who do you think you are?" when I had the audacity to suggest changes needed to be made. Thank God for June Warren. That woman was a voice of reason. She was a HUGE advocate of the AQHA horse that could crossover into the USEF ranks. (RIP, June. :-()

Pam

sorelhorse 10-29-2010 11:10 PM

well, i have to say, you are supposed to sit on your crotch, but staight up and down, NOT leaning foward.

darkwillow 10-29-2010 11:30 PM

This is something I'm ridiculously pedantic about... You sit in the middle of the saddle, with a straight line through your shoulders, back, butt and heels. Or at least that's what I was taught =S Someone will probably contradict me =)

When she said she saw riders sitting on their crotch, i think she meant they were sitting almost on the front of the saddle. *That* is pretty bad form, as is sitting on the back on the saddle. It affects the horse's balance.

When I ride, I try to ride without a saddle, because it means I sit in the middle, not on her withers (front of the saddle), or back too far (cantle)