The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Weather is causing me not to ride (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/weather-causing-me-not-ride-68779/)

Gidget 10-28-2010 04:49 PM

Weather is causing me not to ride

So it's been raining none stop here everyday...guess thats what you get when you live in Oregon. It's bothering me because my horse needs exercise. The grass is slick and she somtimes is clumsy and so she is stalled with a small paddock.I do not want her slipping as I have a feeling she did the other weekend.
We have no covered arena..just a currently flooded round pen and a soggy pasture. I don';t have a horse trailer so what can I do to get her moving?
I'm more concerned that she isn't getting enough movement more than me being in the saddle to practice.

smrobs 10-28-2010 05:08 PM

Get you a raincoat and keep her at a walk or easy jog. :D

Gidget 10-28-2010 05:11 PM

you don't think she will slip on the grass?

smrobs 10-28-2010 05:13 PM

I would say it is unlikely. Possible, but not probable. Just keep the speed down, no sharp turns, stuff like that and it will minimize the chance of a slip.

corinowalk 10-28-2010 05:18 PM

Not to mention walking is one of the best exercises you can do for muscle growth. I always hand walked Nico when the weather was bad. It gave us some time to bond and gave him some exercise. Not to mention I could use the exercise! It certainly helped when we decided to start riding out on our own.

Gidget 10-28-2010 05:35 PM

I think I will hand walk her to spend time with her. She is jealous of the baby ..well she is 2 but I consider her a baby and I think she will like the time to bond and not feel left out.

thank you guys.I apperciate it. I will also ride some but not when it's pouring out like it has been.

mom2pride 10-28-2010 11:50 PM

I'm so glad it doesn't rain non-stop here!!! We've had some pretty chilly windy days though...I hate wind! lol!

I second atleast handwalking, or just getting on and doing walk/trot; she shouldn't trip or slip, unless she's a reeeeaally big clutz...hahaha

~*~anebel~*~ 10-29-2010 10:12 AM

Next time your farrier is out, have some shoes with cork holes put in. When it's crappy, cork her and then she can be turned out and ridden, just make sure she is fully booted when corked.
Good luck!

Katesrider011 10-29-2010 11:04 AM

I feel your pain, that happened to me last year, it rained and rained and rained and wouldn't stop!

Wallaby 10-29-2010 11:09 AM

During the winter, I basically only walk unless I know I have a good surface to ride on (ie, not grass). Lacey's so clumsy anyway, (her life goal seems to be: "if there's something to slip on, I will find it and slip on it") that I'm really really careful to not put her in situations where we might completely go down. However, luckily for me, I love walking. Lacey has a horrible trot and her canter is ok, just unbalanced, so walking is basically her most comfortable gait! Haha

One thing I like to do it the winter when it's not so nice out and I can't do much more than a walk is go on "adventures." I would ride her to strange places on the property that I wasn't sure we could get out of together and then let her do her 'thang and get us out. She likes solving problems and "saving us" so that works out. It was also good practice for her to realize that the rest of the herd doesn't matter, that her mind needs to be completely on the task at hand. Now that she's home, we go on a trail ride or we wander through my neighborhood and visit people (Lacey LOVES visiting people, they give her treats and love, haha the only problem with that is now she has an obsession with driveways XD ).
My other favorite winter "sport" is riding bareback! I love riding bareback as a general rule but in the winter when all I want to do is walk, bareback (her terrible gaits are basically impossible bareback) is especially great. I like to do all sorts of crazy things bareback. We go on "adventures" bareback so that I can hone my "staying in sync with Lacey, no matter what" skill and it's just generally really great for your balance. This last summer I rode bareback so much that I started feeling one with her when I'd get on. Like, when I rode her bareback, it felt like we were physically connected. It was cool that way, and when I started riding in a saddle again I felt so much more in control of my body for some reason...

Anyway, try doing silly things with her! Winter is the time for bonding with your horse, imo. Do crazy (with a low danger possibility) junk and show your horse your silly, not serious-training, side.