The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   what do u feed ur T.B? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/what-do-u-feed-ur-t-68814/)

stabler 10-28-2010 10:59 PM

what do u feed ur T.B?

so i was just curious about what other people feed their t.b's and why? i kno its different for each horse and all but im curious. i have a friend that just feeds hers alfalfa and im not quite sure if she gives him anything else she just got him and im a lil worried hes a lil thin and i believe needs more weight .thanks for any help

rocky pony 10-28-2010 11:06 PM

I just sold my 13 y/o TB gelding who was a pretty hard keeper.
He ate three full meals of oat hay per day plus about 3 cups each of a senior grain (which was highly recommended by my trainer to help him gain and maintain weight) and rice bran pellets, daily.
He also needed a lot of supplements..lol, he was kind of a princess.

Can you see this horse's ribs when he is standing still at rest? If not, he is probably fine. If so, I would ask her about it.

Sophie19 10-28-2010 11:08 PM

I feed Purina Ultium. It gives him a nice shiny coat with out making him to hot. He also gets grass hay, and lots of pasture time.

Sophie19 10-28-2010 11:11 PM

Looking at your pictures I would say he needs to gain some weight. I would look into some weight gain supplements and make sure he has lots of forage.

sarahver 10-28-2010 11:30 PM

Well if you want to know about what other people feed their TB's, you may want to know what they are doing with them workwise as well as the horses age and general health as many things will play a role in what you feed your TB!

My girl gets 9 pounds/day (over two feeds) of 14% protein, 7% fat (low starch) pelleted feed as well as free choice coastal hay. Her teeth have been done recently, she is 7yo, regularly wormed and is worked three - four days a week.

cosmomomo 10-28-2010 11:50 PM

I have a 6 year old TB and he gets a lot of food..at least it seems like it to me.
In the morning he's getting a pretty standard scoop of 10% sweet feed, nothing special, but in the evenings when I come out to feed him, he gets 1 standard scoop of beatpulp (dry, i soak it) and one standard scoop of Pennfield Fibergized with the Omega.

Supplement wise, he gets 3 scoops of Cool Calories, 2 1/2 scoops of Fat Cat and 1/2 scoop of electrolytes, just to make sure he drinks and gets the minerals he needs. (he will NOT lick a salt lick or mineral lick)

I ride him 5-6 times a week, jumps 2 days, and the others are flatwork/galloping trails. So he has a pretty busy schedual. He gets at LEAST one day off, and another day or so if he is really tired from the previous day.

on a side note that is probably important: within the past month we have jacked up the amount of food hes been getting because we left a barn that he came fat as a tick to, and when we left he was just barely showing ribs. mostly we are trying to pack weight on for winter, and to cover the massive amount of energy he is burning during his workouts. he has never in his life gotten so much food, or any supplements for that matter. he used to be on Triple Crown Complete, that was great in the summer, but he ended up being allergic to the rice bran in it, and the reaction made him really hot, and unmanageable.

Also, to see the percentages in the Fibergized Omega, just go to Pennfields website. If you email them and fill out a form, they will send you a coupon for a free bag if you want to try it :) (my horse is on it because another person suggested it and said their horses do great on it)

also, also, lol. he is field boarded on a pretty well grassed pasture, so he has roughage and movement all the time.

stabler 10-29-2010 12:06 AM

yea my boy needs some more weight on him to hes getting thin how do u guys supply their forage to urs i would love to have a nice green pasture but sadly i live in the desert with nothing but dirt for miles.

BelleJournee 10-29-2010 02:18 AM

I'm in Australia so this probably doesn't help at all...
But my mare has free access to an Oaten/meadow round bale.
For a hard feed, she gets 1kg lucerne/wheaten chaff, 2kg of Breeda (formulated stud feed, has 11% fat and 17% protein from memory), and 600g of KER Equi-Jewel (balanced Rice Bran) a day.
I put this diet into FeedXL Horse Nutrition and it came back balanced :)
I am currently putting weight on her, but she is in minimal work.

Snookeys 10-29-2010 03:47 AM

I rescue and rehabilitate tb's, and I know how difficult it is to hide the ribs. I have been feeding Tribute's Kalm n EZ for a while and it's been wonderful. I have a Tribute nutritionist come out and evaluate each new horse I bring in to decide what is best for it (so naturally I feed biased to Tribute, but it's great) so occasionally I'll feed something different, but it's usually Kalm n EZ or Kalm n EZ Ultra. High in protein and fat, low in starch and sugar.

Oh and, good old pasture :]

luvs2ride1979 10-29-2010 07:54 AM

When I had my TB gelding in San Diego, back in the 90s, I fed Alfalfa hay twice a day, a lunch of bermuda hay, and his "feed" was beet pulp, rice bran, and a vitamin supplement. If I tried to give him any kind of grain, even senior feed, he would lose weight and become edgy.

I currently have two half TBs, one Arabian x TB (Anglo Arabian) and one Paint x TB. Both get free choice grass hay. The Half Arab gets 2lbs of timothy pellets, 1/4 cup ground flax, and a vit/min supplement. He has a sensitivity to alfalfa and displays the same "edginess" on any amount of grain or feed. The Paint is one of my lesson horses (very calm) and gets ridden almost daily, 2-3 times a day on the weekends. She gets 2 lbs of plain whole oats, 2 lbs of alfalfa pellets, 1/2 cup ground flax, and a vit/min supplement.

The free choice hay seems to be key for keeping weight on hard keepers. My first TB got nearly free choice (30 lbs of alfalfa and 6 lbs of bermuda daily) and my current horses have access to round bales of bermuda mix hay 24/7. None are "skinny" lol.