The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Charles Owen dilemma (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/charles-owen-dilemma-68819/)

cosmomomo 10-28-2010 11:16 PM

Charles Owen dilemma

So I went to a Dover store today to try on some Charles Owen helmets. I had planned to do so because I reallyyyy liked the fact that you can get the GR8 in custom colours. Especially the black one with the baby blue stripe that would match my saddle pad and splint boots :) buttttt..my dilemma is that the GR8 was a little too shallow with my hair up in it, but the Wellington Pro, fit, well, like a pro :P, it is also a lot more expensive, and the only way to get the custom colour is by special ordering it through the manufacturer. I was looking at them specifically for schooling, and if I decide to do a few jumper shows just for fun. I don't really need a new show helmet right now, but the schooling helmet I have now is like..7 years old and if I get it for christmas I can get which ever one I want.

So, question: if the 7 1/4 in the Wellington Pro fit me perfectly, was deeper and more rounded, what size do you think I would need in a GR8?
I know they fit different, and while I did try on the GR8's I cannot remember what size I was, because we went through a ton of different helmets in a short amount of time lol.

I plan on going to another store and trying them on without any help, becuase I sort of felt like they were pushing the more expensive one on me, and thats not what I came in looking for lol. Also, if I find a size of the GR8 that fits, I'm going to remember it and order it from another place the does the custom colours and is almost 50% cheaper. (they come straight from england, so no middle-man)

(Keep in mind that helmets tend to shape to your head, and the foam settles a little bit.)

I hope I get some responses to this. Even if you've only had a certain Charles Owen, let me know how you like it, or if you don't like it. (:

Charis 10-30-2010 10:17 AM

Its completely up to your head. I love my CO because it fits like a glove. Can't tell you what size you are either, you have to try them on.
Posted via Mobile Device

VelvetsAB 10-30-2010 10:54 AM

I've had a troxel, an IRH and ride in a CO right now. Not sure which one it is though.

Honestly, if the CO's dont fit your head, you shouldnt get it. Get the helmet that is actually going to fit you. Nothing worse then a helmet that doesnt fit properly and sliding around on your head.

starlinestables 10-30-2010 11:14 AM

I have longer hair and when I tried on the CO's I couldn't find one that fit very well.. so I got a GPA. Why don't you just get a GPA and you can switch out the colors as you please? Why do you need two different helmets for schooling and showing? Just take care of the one you have and get the more expensive one.

faye 10-30-2010 07:38 PM

The CO will be designed to fit without your hair under it they are also quite round in shape. CO is a UK brand and we dont put hair under hats here. we put them in either a bun at the nape of your neck or in a hairnet.

The CO doesnt fit me, they give me headaches as they are the wrong shape for my head. I prefer the Champion hats as they are more oval in shape.

highlander 10-31-2010 11:20 AM

i've got a g8 helmet,they come up a bit small but i love mine to bits. mines a lilac and baby blue, they're very comfortable to ride in for hours even in the hottest heat and coldest weather.

Oxer 11-01-2010 01:35 AM

I train in a IRH and show in my GPA. i have lots of hair... so those are the only two that work for me!

fingersss 11-01-2010 03:51 AM

charles owen are the best