The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Draft Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/draft-horses/)
-   -   Looking for my First Draft (http://www.horseforum.com/draft-horses/looking-my-first-draft-68826/)

CeruleanHaradrim 10-29-2010 12:26 AM

Looking for my First Draft

Hi there :o)

After months of research, reading and vising horse shows I am now ready to buy my first draft :o) Percheron is my first choice, followed closely by clydesdale. I'm in Georgia. Problem is, I can't seem to find any located here! All the information and advice I have is to find one local, but every time I search the ones I find are in other states. Any advice as to how to go about finding one?

Equine Angel 10-31-2010 11:54 AM

Dreamhorse.com
Equine.com
Horsetopia.com
Look for breeders.
Craigslist.com

ColtHearted 10-31-2010 12:01 PM

What part of GA are you in? I'm in Brunswick, not many horsey people around this area.
Posted via Mobile Device

Katesrider011 10-31-2010 12:04 PM

I want a Clydesdale sooo bad it's definitely on my to buy list when I get out on my own.

ColtHearted 10-31-2010 03:07 PM

There's a percheron with all his equipment, cart, tack, and trained, for 4000 on craigslist in southern area of south carolina. Pretty dappled gray gelding.
Posted via Mobile Device

CeruleanHaradrim 10-31-2010 06:12 PM

Atlanta but will probably board in Conyers :D

BackInTheSaddleAgain 11-05-2010 12:21 PM

I was on the east coat when I bought my Clydesdale, but I had to buy her in Missouri! lol

Now that I'm in California, she's just about the only one out here and her value sky rocketed.
I bought my girl blind sale, something I don't recommend at all. I knew it was right, though.... and boy, was it.
If drafts are few and far between in your state, you might have better luck looking out of state (and it might be a lot cheaper, too)

BigGreyHorse 11-05-2010 01:36 PM

There's a Percheron breeder in Jasper, GA. Cielo Azure Very knowledgeable and a great person to get info from.

FeatheredFeet 11-05-2010 02:13 PM

BackInTheSaddleAgain. Where in California are you? There are many in S. Cal. Even as far back as the '80's, I used to see people riding them in Griffith Park. My friend's hubby is a farrier. Before they moved north, just Clydes, Shires and Gypsies, pretty much kept him busy all the time.

How did her value skyrocket? The value of a horse doesn't change because you believe he/she is unusual in an area.

Lizzie

BackInTheSaddleAgain 11-05-2010 02:28 PM

I don't mean that literally, and in fact I think it's absurd that people put a large price on an unregistered horse just because they aren't common in the area. That's why i looked out of state.

Quote:

Originally Posted by FeatheredFeet (Post 806398)
BackInTheSaddleAgain. Where in California are you? There are many in S. Cal. Even as far back as the '80's, I used to see people riding them in Griffith Park. My friend's hubby is a farrier. Before they moved north, just Clydes, Shires and Gypsies, pretty much kept him busy all the time.

How did her value skyrocket? The value of a horse doesn't change because you believe he/she is unusual in an area.

Lizzie