The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   I've found what I want (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/ive-found-what-i-want-68906/)

stormyweather101 10-29-2010 06:04 PM

I've found what I want

So awhile ago I wanted to "make it big" in the horse world. I have found out what that means now. MACLAY FINALS! I am aware it will cost money, hard work, and commitment. I have two of those things! But any advice you guys have to help get me through to my dream will help a bunch! I have about every job you can think of and I'm hoping to compete by the ages if 16-17. So Maclay Finals 2012-2013, GET READY.

Oxer 10-30-2010 01:26 AM

have you watched the old animal planet show "Horse Power: The road to the Mcclay"? it's an awesome show! anyhow... those folks are in a tax bracket that most of us could only dream of. a six figure horse is not for the faint of heart! but heck... if you make it, i can at least say "hey, i knew that rider!!"

Beau Baby 10-30-2010 01:40 AM

you got big dreams like me. I'm picturing rolex, while my dads picturing olympics. one step at a time i guess. good luck on your road to maclay

Void 10-30-2010 02:00 AM

Well, I'd say tell your parents to prepare their pocketbooks!

Back of the envelope costs will include a high 5 to 6 figure horse. Find yourself a BNT or a Not so BNT that has been able to produce results. Riding at Beacon Hill or Heritage Farm would cost anywhere from 2-4k a month for training. You'll need to show at the A, AA, AAA level and it will take several shows to qualify. That will easily run you up 2-3k a show. Don't even get me started on what it cost to maintain one of these beasts.

I say take it in mini steps. Aiming for the Medal and Maclay is a big commitment! I'd try to find a quality trainer that will teach you how to find eight fences with flow and style. Start by trying to qualify for a local or regional Medal. In Northern California we have a lot of them, NorCal Finals are 3'6" but there are smaller ones too like the Almaden which is 2'9". Work your way up the heights, learn and get a great foundation. Work your way up the ratings in shows too, go to 'C' shows, then 'B' shows and eventually 'A' and 'AA'.

USHJA has some interesting "grassroots" programs (and I use the term lightly) like Emerging Athlete's Program. You can look into:

EAP Introduction

Junior Career

And Medal and Maclay isn't the be all end all or riding either. I had that dream once, and I had the dedication and skill, but no money and pretty much no time. I've found a ton of satisfaction though riding in IHSA when I aged out and riding as an A/O and Adult Equitation rider when I graduated from college.

Best of Luck to you.

stormyweather101 10-30-2010 03:19 PM

Oxer, the aminal planet show road to the maclay is what i basically watch everyday! lol ive had it saved on my tv for the past 3 years lol!

faye 10-30-2010 03:35 PM

the what finals? never heard of them.

EventersBabe 10-30-2010 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beau Baby (Post 799450)
you got big dreams like me. I'm picturing rolex, while my dads picturing olympics. one step at a time i guess. good luck on your road to maclay

I have that dream to :)

Anyways I love the Road to the Mclay :) I wanna find it on DVD

stormyweather101 10-30-2010 08:39 PM

umm okay lol? (not you eventer, the one above lol)

stormyweather101 11-14-2010 09:07 AM

bumppp

MaggiStar 11-14-2010 09:41 AM

Iv never heard of them(me and faye are not american)
is it just a show jumping show