The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Hobbies (http://www.horseforum.com/hobbies/)
-   -   Photography- name, Site? (http://www.horseforum.com/hobbies/photography-name-site-68938/)

Sullivan17 10-30-2010 12:03 AM

Photography- name, Site?

Hi all:) So Im really big in photography. I just love it, and plan on doing it for the rest of my life. anyways.. I need a name for my photography.. And i have no clue what i could name my photography. I wanted to name it after my horse Sadie. But i feel bad for naming it after her when i have ten horses :-| But she's the one i have the strongest bond for, her and my other mare Sully. My name is Hollierae.. so i have not a clue :D And another thing.. Anybody know of a good site i could post pictures on so When i go to horse events to take pictures i can post them on for people to refer too, it would also be nice if i could like copy right my pictures.... But any suggestions are great!! :D

Luvs2jump 10-30-2010 12:21 AM

HS photography?
For website, you can make your own website with freewebs. Check some of the photo editing websites for adding water marks, Photoshop also has a plug-in that you can down load from the web to where you can add watermarks that way no one can steal 'em.
Hope that helps.

Sullivan17 10-30-2010 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luvs2jump (Post 799420)
HS photography?
For website, you can make your own website with freewebs. Check some of the photo editing websites for adding water marks, Photoshop also has a plug-in that you can down load from the web to where you can add watermarks that way no one can steal 'em.
Hope that helps.

Thanks for the post!!.. Ill look into the watermark idea tho. I've tried freewebs and it just wouldn't work for photography.. i guess it's just not what im looking for :( lol

Sullivan17 10-30-2010 07:39 PM

I actually googled HS Photography, and Theres a few with that name... so that's out. :(

Luvs2jump 10-30-2010 11:36 PM

Dang, have you googled free website builders/hosting and see what's out there?
As for the name, maybe you could do some sort of combination off all three names or switch the letters or shuffle parts of the different names?

Sullivan17 10-31-2010 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luvs2jump (Post 800569)
Dang, have you googled free website builders/hosting and see what's out there?
As for the name, maybe you could do some sort of combination off all three names or switch the letters or shuffle parts of the different names?

I did decide that i would probably use Flickr or DeviantArt. Now for the name:wink:

csuebele 10-31-2010 11:48 PM

Flickr & DeviantArt are good. DeviantArt lets you sell you your images, as does Redbubble. Flickr is good in that prospective photo buyers look at that site for stock photos, but don't expect to get rich doing it that way. Photography is an extreamly competitive business, but there are lots of ways to make money in it. It always helps to shoot things YOU really enjoy shooting.

Names are difficult. Most folks just go with their own name, but if that doesn't work you've got to find something that defines the type of photography that you want to do.

Watermarking is different from copyrighting your images. There's lots of info on how to copyright images and one of the cheapest ways is to copyright a whole CD or DVD, but there is a time limit on doing that and having photos published on the web.

Sullivan17 11-01-2010 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by csuebele (Post 801423)
Flickr & DeviantArt are good. DeviantArt lets you sell you your images, as does Redbubble. Flickr is good in that prospective photo buyers look at that site for stock photos, but don't expect to get rich doing it that way. Photography is an extreamly competitive business, but there are lots of ways to make money in it. It always helps to shoot things YOU really enjoy shooting.

Names are difficult. Most folks just go with their own name, but if that doesn't work you've got to find something that defines the type of photography that you want to do.

Watermarking is different from copyrighting your images. There's lots of info on how to copyright images and one of the cheapest ways is to copyright a whole CD or DVD, but there is a time limit on doing that and having photos published on the web.

Thanks! Ill look into RedBubble.. but Im thinking Im gonna go with DeviantArt. My aunt who is in school for photography uses FlickR..but i just don't think it's what Im looking for. I have had a few close friends have me do there Senior Pictures.. And i've also been going to friends shows to take pictures of them competing to get the experience. I have had a number of people tell me that if i where to be taking pictures at a show, they would for sure buy pictures from me. All the photographers in this area charge ridiculous Prices on pictures.. I mean i understand they need to make a living, there are some better then others and some people who just charge a crazy amount when they aren't really even that great of pictures :-|

Now the name is the hardest part Im having.. I just wanna have something to refer too.. I don't really like the way my name sounds as a title.. HollieraeJones Photography just doesn't sound good to me....hmm

csuebele 11-01-2010 11:56 PM

Yes, there are a lot of bad photographers out there. Unfortunately most people do have to charge what most people think are high prices to be able to make a living. What you're doing is a good start. Word of mouth is great for starting a business and shooting horse shows is obviously something you enjoy doing as well.

Do you go by a nick name? Looks like you might be called Holly on occasion. Holly J. Photography isn't too bad, but let you mind wander and it's amazing what things will pop into it. Actually before I posted this, I looked up Holly J Photography and it too was taken. Just keep you mind open and something will come to you.

Good luck!

Sullivan17 11-02-2010 12:17 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by csuebele (Post 802557)
Yes, there are a lot of bad photographers out there. Unfortunately most people do have to charge what most people think are high prices to be able to make a living. What you're doing is a good start. Word of mouth is great for starting a business and shooting horse shows is obviously something you enjoy doing as well.

Do you go by a nick name? Looks like you might be called Holly on occasion. Holly J. Photography isn't too bad, but let you mind wander and it's amazing what things will pop into it. Actually before I posted this, I looked up Holly J Photography and it too was taken. Just keep you mind open and something will come to you.

Good luck!

Thanks for the Suggestions! I do really like to photograph the horses.. I don't have too much experience with the horse shows since i was just starting to get into it and now show season is over :wink:
Everyone who knows me just calls me Hollierae.. it's practically my name now:)
I added some pictures for the heck of it.. The one is of me on my horse.. amazingly enough i took that myself...I sometimes wonder what the neighbors thing :wink: And then the other 3? are of a Sunset last month.. It was probably one of the most gorgeous sunsets i have ever seen.. i couldn't believe the color of the sky..and the fog just made it even prettier :D