The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   Body Protector Rule? (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/body-protector-rule-69394/)

Stella 10-30-2010 10:08 PM

Body Protector Rule?

Hi!:-) I usually ride with a body protector but today I went to my first show. I did not wear my body protector because I did not know if it is allowed. Is it?

Note: This was a schooling show and the rules might be different than a "big" show.

Tymer 10-30-2010 10:34 PM

Do you mean a riding vest? All the schooling shows I have gone to allow - and encourage - wearing vests to ride. Bigger shows it's likely a case by case basis. I can't think that any jumpers (hunters I'm not sure of) would say you CAN'T wear a vest. They would be liable if you fell and a vest might have made your injuries be less severe.

Saskia 10-31-2010 12:06 AM

I thought protectors were only really used for cross country, and maybe some showjumping. I've never seen them be used in a show.

Luvs2jump 10-31-2010 12:20 AM

I've only seen them used on cross-country and the show jumping phase of eventing. I've haven't seen them used here at the schooling shows or the local c-shows for the hunter/jumpers. For the bigger shows, check the rule book and see what it says about wearing one. For schooling shows, I'm not to sure, I'd ask and see what they say.

Spastic_Dove 10-31-2010 12:42 AM

If it's a schooling show, you should be fine. It may not be the norm but I doubt you would have an issue wearing one for safety. If in doubt, talk to the individuals putting on the shows and clear it with them first.

Stella 10-31-2010 04:29 PM

Thanks everyone! Yes, the events over fences (or over trotting poles in my case) are all hunters. THe thing is, you are actually asked to where a show shirt and wearing a body protector/vest will ruin the effect? I'm really not sure.

eventerdrew 10-31-2010 07:02 PM

at least in eventing, they've made it a rule that you can wear your body protector in ALL phases. I can't imagine they'd penalize you for being safe... no matter what discipline you were in.

Oxer 11-01-2010 06:03 PM

you'll never see it in the upper division hunters.

Stella 11-01-2010 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oxer (Post 802188)
you'll never see it in the upper division hunters.

oh-oh... for now, im stuck with trotting poles:wink: butI dont know how i will persuade my dad to let me ride without one when I start jumping...
I'm really into hunters so I guess I will have to start begging soon. lol:-)

Luvs2jump 11-03-2010 01:03 PM

I've posted here and have been reading the responses, what I'm wondering is, if you had a big enough show shirt and hunt coat and wore is under the show shirt, with like a t-shirt underneath, would you be able to get away with it? Just food for thought!