The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   How should I be prepared? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/how-should-i-prepared-69431/)

wannahorse22 10-31-2010 09:14 AM

How should I be prepared?

I am pretty sure I am getting a horse in the beggining of Summer 2011. I know it's a bit early to worry, but I am so excited! I already ahve all the costs figured out, the daily,weeky,and monthly schedule/chore lists. The riding times figured out-I even typed out a 3 page paper on medical problems and how to treat them. lol, I know I probably overdid it!

Is their anything else I should do?

MaggiStar 10-31-2010 11:39 AM

Get yourself a first aid kit and stock it weel with an imvemtory on the lid so you know what needs replacing.
Ensure you have a reliable hay source and bedding. Are you boarding or keeping them at home?
Will it be on its own caus eyou will have to get him a little friend.
Find a repetuale trainer to help you with the kinks that will occur
Get vet and farrier recomendations then get 3more and store all the numbers in your phone and write them down in your stable folder for emergencys

wannahorse22 10-31-2010 01:31 PM

Thanks for the advice! I will def. need to put together a stable folder and inventory check list. Oh, and I am going to be keeping her/him at home. I think me and my dad are planning on buying a goat or two for a companion.

MaggiStar 10-31-2010 04:42 PM

Then you will need a respected feed merchant and bedding.
Ensure all gates and fences are 100%(if using hedges i would check them throuhgout winter so if the get bare you will know you need to add fencing)
Make sure there is suitable shelter for your hose if he is a field pony.
Also i find a portable electric fience is the best thing ever so you can give your
field a chance to rest and rotate on grazing.
Ask neighbours with lamd if you can ride in there fields now.
Basically check everything throughout the year so you can fix it befor your horse eg is your water through likely to get coated in leaves in autumn, does you through freeze how will you provide water

loosie 10-31-2010 10:38 PM

Good for you that you're doing the research required now to ensure you'll be a good owner! Keep up the good work, it's definitely not too early - there is SO much to learn!

Being a hoof care practitioner, I see all sorts of hoof problems which to a large degree are inadvertently caused through owner(& not rarely farrier) ignorance, so of course I think it is SO important for owners to educate themselves well on the principles & factors of hoof health & function. This is a very holistic subject, and diet, lifestyle & environment all have huge effects on hoof health, so learn also about those factors & healthiest ways of managing horses to make informed decisions about the best way to keep your beastie.

Regarding diet/nutrition, as I'm not a nutritionist myself, I feel it's a good idea to consult one. I personally use an online service/program called feedxl.com which I reckon is fantastic & cheap to boot! It is a program to analyse & work out well balanced, custom diets for horses, as well as having heaps of good info on feeding generally & nutritionist's brains to pick whenever needed.

morganslittleleo 11-04-2010 01:25 AM

Congrats just rember goat feed is leathal to horses so we feed are goats 50/50 that way we dont have ant actual goat food so we dont have any misfeedings / emergencies

loosie 11-04-2010 04:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by morganslittleleo (Post 804876)
Congrats just rember goat feed is leathal to horses so we feed are goats 50/50 that way we dont have ant actual goat food so we dont have any misfeedings / emergencies

Goat feed? Don't even know what that is, as goats eat just about everything & people in these parts generally keep goats to eat the undergrowth & weeds, don't actually feed them anything special! What's in it that's toxic to horses, do you know?

morganslittleleo 11-04-2010 03:50 PM

Goat Food Lethal

Goat Food Lethal for Horses

A common ingredient in goat food could lead to cardiac failure in horses.

Goats are one of the most common four-legged barn buddies for horses, but veterinarians continue to caution that some goat feeds contain an ingredient that can be lethal to horses. Rumensin (monensin sodium) is often included in commercial feeds designed for ruminants like cattle and goats. Although actually an antibiotic, when fed continuously in low doses Rumensin promotes weight gain and milk production in goats. But in equines the product damages heart muscle and can lead to cardiac failure. Horses that do survive chowing down on feed containing Rumensin are usually so debilitated that they can never resume normal activities and may require euthanasia. Therefore, unless you are absolutely certain that the feed you’re offering your goat is free of Rumensin, keep the goat grain far, far away from your horse

PaintHorseMares 11-04-2010 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wannahorse22 (Post 800758)
Is their anything else I should do?

Sounds like you're on the right track. One thing most people don't think of is to mentally prepare yourself for all the cuts, scrapes, and sprains that go along with owning a horse. People tend to treat their horses like they are very fragile animals, but they're really very tough and 99% of the time those injuries look a lot worse than they are.

wannahorse22 11-04-2010 05:24 PM

Thanks for the advice everyone!!

And about the goat feed-
Is it nessecary to feed goat feed? I was just planning on letting it eat all the "leftovers" in the pasture. Any other goat warnings I should be aware of?