The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Eventing (http://www.horseforum.com/eventing/)
-   -   Octoberfest! (http://www.horseforum.com/eventing/octoberfest-69457/)

eventerdrew 10-31-2010 05:44 PM

Octoberfest!

Hey guys!

I just got back from a fun-filled weekend at Kentucky Horse Park for the second week in a row! Last weekend we went to KHP for Team Challenge and took first at Beginner Novice http://www.horseforum.com/eventing/m...allenge-68395/ and this weekend we took the big step up and did a Novice combined test! Demi was AMAZING! Last weekend she was pacing in her stall and overall a wild child. This weekend she was calm, cool and collected. We had a nice dressage test and got a score of 35.0 which put us in fourth place. Considering we had a little under a week to learn a completely new test, I was very impressed with my little girl! :D

Today we did stadium and last weekend was really not our best stadium performance. Yeah, we went clean but I had to fight her for every fence. This weekend (after a quick injection on anti-inflammatories for her hocks earlier in the week) she was fantastic! Great warmup and a nice, steady round in the ring. She had plenty of go and we ended up double clean!!!!!! We ended up getting a nice pretty white ribbon for fourth place!

That's the first time I've gone Novice since 2005 and it felt even better than I remembered! Next season, we're doing a few BN horse trials then hopefully (if her hocks are up to it... we're getting her injected) go Novice by mid-season!

YAY DEMI!:D:D:D:D

MIEventer 10-31-2010 05:51 PM

That's great! Congratulations!!!

eventerdrew 10-31-2010 07:07 PM

Thank you!

This winter we will be working on our dressage this winter and getting her back supple and more muscle. She needs it!

Strange 10-31-2010 11:14 PM

Awesome! I can't wait to hear how awesome you do at Novice shows!

MIEventer 11-01-2010 10:12 AM

How old is Demi again? You're starting the Hock Injections? I just started Nelson on actual injections this year - both hocks and both stifles. He went from 21, to 10! lol.

Glad you are doing so well, look forward to hearing more and seeing more of the two of you!

eventerdrew 11-01-2010 05:35 PM

Demi is 7. Yeah, I know it sucks that I have to give her injections this early but the difference is AMAZING. after how she acted the weekend before at Team Challenge I knew there was some discomfort there somewhere so my vet gave her an anti-inflammatory and the difference was clear. We will be starting injections as soon as I can afford it. She's been in competition since she was 5 and apparently her joints just don't hold up to it without some help!

MIEventer 11-01-2010 05:41 PM

Like, actual joint injections? Or Adequan Injections?

MyBoyPuck 11-01-2010 06:11 PM

Sounds like you had a great time. Must be cool to ride at KHP. Great dressage score!

eventerdrew 11-01-2010 06:15 PM

Actual hock injections. We'll probably maintain with Adequan throughout the year so she only has to have injections yearly in her hocks.

MBP: Thanks! It was amazing galloping on the ground that you know so many greats have galloped on! Demi is a dressage diva. She loves it!

MIEventer 11-01-2010 06:30 PM

Yeah, that's what I am doing for Nelson. He has recieved injections in both hocks and stifles - and the Vet who did it said that he should stay on Adequan as well. :/ not cheap eh!

BUT I see that you can get a huge vile from SmartPak - a 10 month dose, for $300 something. I'm going to save up for that because it'll come out much cheaper than what I am currently paying, $55.00 per vile.......:/ ouch.