The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   Getting a horse!!! Maybe... (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/getting-horse-maybe-69471/)

horsequeen373 10-31-2010 08:42 PM

Getting a horse!!! Maybe...

So I've been riding for 10 years and my parents have finally realized the "horse thing" is not a phase and have agreed to consider getting me a horse. I would love to as much showing as I can afford.

There are 2 horses at my barn that are for sale that I have ridden and really love both of them...now the hard part, deciding which one to get...

There is Lucy. A 8 year old German Warmblood large pony. I finally nailed my flying lead change on her. She easily jumps up to 3 ft. (I do about 2'3" now) and she has some but not a lot of show miles. I LOVE riding her. She's not the prettiest mover ever and probably wouldn't win a ton of classes on her, but like I said I LOVE THIS PONY!!!!

Then there is Elmo. A 16 yar old HUGE TB. He can jump up to about 4 ft I do believe. Has tons and tons and TONS of show miles and is easily the best hunter mover at my barn. My trainer thinks we could totally dominate the hunter ring (her words). I love him, but not as much as Lucy.

Lucy costs significantly less then Elmo so thus I could afford to do more shows if I got her. If I got Elmo, I wouldn't be able to do as many shows.

So...opinions on which horse I should get?

tinyliny 10-31-2010 10:58 PM

How big are you? How old?
I have seen German riding ponies and they totally ROCK! That would be my vote, hands down! Big horses tend to have more problems with keeping weight on, their feet, you name it. The German riding pony would be good for dressage, no?
Can you post some photos.?

MoodIndigo 10-31-2010 11:14 PM

I would totally go with Lucy!!

She is only 8.. vs 15. Even though the old grandpa has the show miles, the young one still has lots of life in her! Since you'll have more money if you buy her, you'll be able to show her and give her lots of miles, too. Plus if you've been riding for 10 years, you would be more challenged with the young 'en. You'll have fun with her. I mean, not trying to say older horses aren't great, but you'd be better off with Lucy. :)

Good luck!
ps. You should post pictures.

Piaffe 11-01-2010 12:39 AM

She's not the prettiest mover ever and probably wouldn't win a ton of classes on her, but like I said I LOVE THIS PONY!!!!

I think you have already chosen!!! if you love this pony she is probably meant to be yours :) Good luck on whichever you choose,though! They both sound like good mounts.

Saskia 11-01-2010 05:24 AM

I would get Lucy.

La Fiaba 11-01-2010 05:59 AM

I think you have mad your decision! Lucy sounds like a great first pony, and if in the future you really get into showing you can think about getting another horse, but for now at least you can have a horse you can enjoy regardless. Can you put up some pics so we can see her? Really excited for you!

horsequeen373 11-02-2010 10:13 PM

I'm 5'6". 16, so still have some time to be able to show ponies. I don't have any pictures unfortunately :(
My parents are going to talk to my trainer about it on Thursday, I think I'm going to go with Lucy :D

haleylvsshammy 11-06-2010 11:14 PM

LUCY! Good luck! Keep us updated!

FrannyGlass 11-07-2010 07:42 PM

Don't overthink - go with your heart! You and Lucy can grow a lot together and share your show victories!

horsequeen373 11-11-2010 05:46 PM

My parents are thinking. I'm soooo ready for them to make a decision!!!