The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

What to Do With a Scaly, Dry Tailbone?

19K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  anrz 
#1 ·
Well l've been battling a dry, scaly tailbone with Thumper for over 2 years now (excluding the winters when he's fine), and l'm really not sure what to do right now. The skin is dry and flaky, and Thumper has rubbed nearly every hair off the middle of the top of his tail. l've tried cleaning it with shampoo and conditioner once a week (this helps for a day or two), MTG (no change), l've scrubbed out under his tailbone, in case that was what was bothering him (again, no change), l've used a variety of products, but to no avail :). l'm hopeless when it comes to tail care :). He has been rubbing his tail since before l began leasing him 2 years ago and he's always been nearly bald up on his tailbone because of it :P. lt only stops over the winter when he wears his blanket.
Any suggestions on what to do?

#2 ·
So, what changes in the winter?
Blanket = weather protection; friction protection
Weather = fewer bugs? more/less precipitation? less travelling? less washing?

Off hand, I'd say he's sensitive to something he brushes up against all the time and in the winter his tail is protected by the blanket so it doesn't aggravate him. Or he's picking up a fungus from something; same deal.

Did the vet ever see it and have an opinion?

I would try anti-fungal soap and anti-dandruff soap and be sure to rinse it very well. Maybe wrap the top of his tail during those times that he isn't wearing a blanket -- maybe he is rubbing it and that's the start of the problem, but in the winter with a blanket the rubbing doesn't actually cause as much wear, therefore keeping the skin even more protected and healthy?

#4 ·
My mare has the same problem. She kept rubbing her tail, and after being told she had worms and a whole host of fungal problems and treating for all of them despite this being the only symptom, it didn't go away. I finally read online that a scaly tailbone is basically the same as dry skin for people, or dandruff, and it's basically just too dry. I added some oil to her feed and after only a week or so, her tail bone looked significantly better! I can't give her oil every day because she's fed as part of a group and giving her an individual "supplement" is expensive at my barn, so I sometimes rub the oil into her tail bone. It makes the hair oily, but it keeps the scaliness away and I haven't seen any short hairs from rubbing for a few weeks now! fingers crossed it stays that way haha, hope this helps!

#6 ·
What kind of oil do you rub on her, or feed her?

O So is rubbing his tail out and his mane! I think it is do to the climate change he is going through. I will probably be able to tell more now that it is going into winter.

I bought him from a place between Florence and Eugene Oregon, and moved him to my house in Sacramento CA. So obviously it was a drastic climate change. When I first got him and after he rubbed the middle of his mane completely down to the skin, I have been giving him his baths with baby shampoo and then after rinsing really well, I would put Keri Oil (mixed with water) on him! He is still rubbing. He has only had 3 baths since I have had him, about once a month. I have stopped giving baths since winter is here now!

It is really upsetting to me that he is rubbing so much. I love long mane and tails. Right now his tail is barely rubbing the ground, but the top part is getting more and more rubbed off! I surely don't want him to rub it down to nothing!

Oh, and I worm him regularly so I don't think it is worms!

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.