The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Horse Judging!!! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/horse-judging-69553/)

888vegas888 11-01-2010 08:27 PM

Horse Judging!!!

So, I just joined FFA (paid my dues a week or so ago) and I really want to do horse judging. Does anyone know anything about it? Like, what goes on? And what am i going to be doing exactly? any information on it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! :D

A knack for horses 11-01-2010 09:35 PM

AHHH!!! Another FFA-er!!! I'm not what state you are in, but the horse judging is great. At the satate level, you will judge 8 classes. Four performance classes and 4 halter. Performance classes will be things like WP, EP, Horsemanship, HUS, Reining, and Huntseat equitation. The winner of the each division at the state level get to go to National Convention and Judge at the national level.

The competition is divided into two divisions: Reasons and Non-Reasons. Non-reasons individuals will only judge the eight classes. The reasons division will give two sets of reasons after the competition, and those scores will be added to your placings scores. WHen results come out, you will have an individual score (Reasons or Non-Reasons) and a team score.

It really is a great way to get to practice judging, and a great way to have fun!

If you have any questions, just ask. ;)

888vegas888 11-01-2010 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A knack for horses (Post 802369)
AHHH!!! Another FFA-er!!! I'm not what state you are in, but the horse judging is great. At the satate level, you will judge 8 classes. Four performance classes and 4 halter. Performance classes will be things like WP, EP, Horsemanship, HUS, Reining, and Huntseat equitation. The winner of the each division at the state level get to go to National Convention and Judge at the national level.

The competition is divided into two divisions: Reasons and Non-Reasons. Non-reasons individuals will only judge the eight classes. The reasons division will give two sets of reasons after the competition, and those scores will be added to your placings scores. WHen results come out, you will have an individual score (Reasons or Non-Reasons) and a team score.

It really is a great way to get to practice judging, and a great way to have fun!

If you have any questions, just ask. ;)

great quote, by the way. love that song, rodney atkins is amazing. :-)

I'm in a tiny, small-town high school in florida, and i'm not looking to do anything major or go to any state conventions or anything fancy like that, i'd just like to be involved with something i like that will show up on my resume.

Would i be judging classes like "in hand" classes? (presentation, control, confo, etc.)
Or would i be judging actual riding, control, behavior of the horse and rider as a team?
Or both?

And am i going to certain horseshows or something like that? i just want to do something modest, subtle, local, something like that. nothing big.

Thanks again!

A knack for horses 11-01-2010 10:39 PM

The state judging competition is separate from the convention, its just the national judging that is held at National Convention.

Horses in performance classes will be judged according to the class they are in, like reining horses will be judged for their execution of their manuvers and the level of control and willingness of the horse. You won't judge conformation in performance classes, only in halter.

The State Judging competition is a completely individual event. (meaning you won't go to the state fair to judge horses, and it will only be FFA members at the competition.)

State horse judging isn't a big deal, and if you a decent at horse judging/conformation, I garuntee you will place in the upper half of the competition (usually kids will go who don't know anything about horses, just to go for fun. Seriously, this year there was a kid who scored a personal low of 27.)

Also, depending on your individual score, you will get a ribbon with your color rank. This year I was mad because I was ONE point away from a blue ribbon. >:( Oh well, I can try next year.

smrobs 11-02-2010 01:25 AM

Only suggestion I have is to really read up and educate yourself on the type of classes you will be judging before hand. Look at the horses who are winning said classes so that you have something to compare to.

888vegas888 11-02-2010 07:55 PM

cool, thanks guys! im really looking forward to doing this, i think it will be a lot of fun!:D