The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   My Paint Horse is almost solid white? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/my-paint-horse-almost-solid-white-69609/)

Justice Rain APHA 11-02-2010 01:46 PM

My Paint Horse is almost solid white?

My seven year old Paint gelding, Rain, is a full blooded Paint with perfect conformation. I know he is a Paint because we had his dam and bred her to a APHA stallion (Fudge On Top), and she was a SBP APHA mare (Lady Justice) who was considered breeding stock and had several Paint foals.

I'd like to register him since I plan on starting to show him soon, but I have a problem...what color do I classify him as on his reg. papers? He has two brown areas and that's it- his medicine hat and a two foot by two foot boomerang shaped area on his left hip. Everywhere else is white. He has pink skin except for where he has his two markings, and has clear blue eyes and solid, strong feet. His forlock is black where it is in he medicine hat, and his tail is 'dipped' in black, as if it had been dipped into an ink well at the end when he was born.

Would I mark his 'color' as brown or black, or can it be marked as white (if they have that as a color)? His mother was so black that she looked blue in the sunlight, and his father was a dark brown and white Paint.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Zeke 11-02-2010 02:23 PM

Well the brown markings with black mane and forlock sounds bay to me, hard to pin it down without the black points on the legs though. I'm really no expert though either.

Do you have any pics?
Posted via Mobile Device

Snookeys 11-02-2010 02:35 PM

He is a bay tovero from the sounds of it... a tricolor.

Kind of like this?

http://www.australianwesternhorsesho...04/barney1.JPG

Speed Racer 11-02-2010 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justice Rain APHA (Post 803033)
My seven year old Paint gelding, Rain, is a full blooded Paint with perfect conformation.

There's no such thing as a horse with 'perfect' conformation. They all have flaws.

As far as registering him, you may not be able to now that he's 7 y/o. Why wasn't he registered as a foal?

If the registry will still accept him, he should be registered as a bay or brown paint. If he has no black body hair, he's not a black and white paint.

Besides, the only reason to register him now would be so you could show him in breed shows. If you're not planning to show him in breed shows, it doesn't matter whether or not he's registered.

Snookeys 11-02-2010 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speed Racer (Post 803075)
There's no such thing as a horse with 'perfect' conformation. They all have flaws.

As far as registering him, you may not be able to now that he's 7 y/o. Why wasn't he registered as a foal?

If the registry will still accept him, he should be registered as a bay or brown paint. If he has no black body hair, he's not a black and white paint.

Besides, the only reason to register him now would be so you could show him in breed shows. If you're not planning to show him in breed shows, it doesn't matter whether or not he's registered.

:roll:

Justice Rain APHA 11-02-2010 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snookeys (Post 803074)
He is a bay tovero from the sounds of it... a tricolor.

Kind of like this?

http://www.australianwesternhorsesho...04/barney1.JPG

Almost excactly like that, only the brown is so dark it appears to be black. Only Rain has a medicine hat similar to that one, and his patch on his hip is smaller and placed a bit higher up, but yes, very similar to that horse.

These are two old pictures-about two to four years ago- but I'll try it. Also, that blackish area on his leg is a tall plant, not a marking in the pic wth him running with a mountain behind him:

http://i414.photobucket.com/albums/p...yapps/rain.jpg

Taken on a slope...very dirty horse:
http://i414.photobucket.com/albums/p...ictures264.jpg

As you can see, his spot color varies depending on the area.

Justice Rain APHA 11-02-2010 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speed Racer (Post 803075)

I understand they all have flaws, but he is very close to what is considered ideal. Trust me, I did everything in my power to try and get him registered as foal, but my father absolutely refused to have it until recently, and I already checked- he can still be registered, it's just a bit more expensive.

Snookeys 11-02-2010 02:55 PM

Yeah he looks like a bay tovero to me ! :) He is beautiful, and has gorgeous eyes. Those ears are crazy... solid black? Interesting...

Basically when I'm trying to figure out what color a paint horse is, I think about what they'd look like if we took all the white away. I'm fairly certain he'd be bay!

Zeke 11-02-2010 02:59 PM

He's a cutie! I' a sucker for blue eyes too :) I would still venture to guess bay though. The second pic is either him bleached out in the summer (if he was black) or he's a bay.

Was going to add that you can still register him but for a higher fee, but looks like you've done your hw!

Cowgirl140ty 11-02-2010 03:00 PM

A paint over the age of 4, with color is $500 normally. But I think they are running a special... but usually if they are older you have to send in a DNA sample.
But to the OP... Id say bay.
I know with the appaloosa club, you have to send in pics... and if your unsure you leave the color/pattern blank and they fill it in. So maybe the paint assoc. is the same way.