The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Protection (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-protection/)
-   -   Howard County MD horse owners-FYI (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-protection/howard-county-md-horse-owners-fyi-69672/)

franknbeans 11-03-2010 10:04 AM

Howard County MD horse owners-FYI

Just to get the word out, in case this is not an isolated incident. I would rather you all be safe.....rather than not know about this.

Police Investigate Shooting Death of Horse

kitten_Val 11-03-2010 10:10 AM

I hope they'll catch the person who did it! It's Sun, which makes me think may be the hunting season is up and running again with some drunks having fun (that happened before in MD).

P.S. We (as a club) are fighting to keep the hunting season in parks to the level it's now (while the government tries to push it and take over all weekends all parks (and if possible Sept - ....).

franknbeans 11-03-2010 10:22 AM

[QUOTE=kitten_Val;804016]I hope they'll catch the person who did it! It's Sun, which makes me think may be the hunting season is up and running again with some drunks having fun (that happened before in MD).

A friend of mine knows the owner. She said that there is no hunting on Sunday? And the horse was in a VERY brightly colored blanket. So, doubt if it was mistaken for a deer. :-(

kitten_Val 11-03-2010 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by franknbeans (Post 804025)
A friend of mine knows the owner. She said that there is no hunting on Sunday? And the horse was in a VERY brightly colored blanket. So, doubt if it was mistaken for a deer. :-(

I have to check calendar, but I believe hunting starts some time in Oct and goes on weekend (either Sun or Sat, I thought Sun). I may be wrong though. I remember seeing warning signs in Schooley Mills park (which is close to the place). In any case whoever did it is a moron. I hope the investigation will lead somewhere!

franknbeans 11-03-2010 11:42 AM

So do I. Hunters even shoot each other by accident, so who knows. Apparently there have also been some incidents with cows around there also-point blank in the head, so hate the thought that this is purposeful.
Posted via Mobile Device

kevinshorses 11-03-2010 12:09 PM

Of course it was purposeful! Hunters rarely shoot each other or anything else on accident. For every accident you hear about there are tens of thousands of hunters that go afield safely and ethically. I am about sick to death of all the ill-informed comments regarding hunters and hunting that have been on the forum recently. The facts don't support these opinions.

farmpony84 11-03-2010 12:41 PM

There is no hunting on Sundays.

franknbeans 11-03-2010 12:55 PM

Kevin perhaps the hunters out where you are are a bit more carefull I can say that it happens here. I hear about 1-2 accidental animal or people shootings every year during season. Always have. Some areas where it is particularly busy it is like there is a hunter behind every tree. It is a bit more populated here, which may be some of the iSsue
Posted via Mobile Device

kevinshorses 11-03-2010 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by franknbeans (Post 804120)
Kevin perhaps the hunters out where you are are a bit more carefull I can say that it happens here. I hear about 1-2 accidental animal or people shootings every year during season. Always have. Some areas where it is particularly busy it is like there is a hunter behind every tree. It is a bit more populated here, which may be some of the iSsue
Posted via Mobile Device

So how many hunters do you think go afield every season? I still stand by my post.

farmpony84 11-03-2010 01:19 PM

There is no hunting in the dark (which means they wouldn't have been hunting in the middle of the night) and no hunting on Sundays. This wasn't a hunter.