The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Whys my horses attitude towards me changed so quickly? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/whys-my-horses-attitude-towards-me-69706/)

Laurah994 11-03-2010 05:41 PM

Whys my horses attitude towards me changed so quickly?

I bought my 9 year old cleveland bay x tb 3 months ago, she wasnt well schooled but that was something i was willing to work with and after a few weeks she was improving quickly. However over the last few weeks her attitude has changed completly, shes agressive and snappy in the stable, putting her ears back at everyone, and if anyone approaches her with a saddle she will try to bite and make a fuss whilst having the saddle put on. Once being ridden she goes well and is happy and willing to ride. Why has her behaviour changed so quickly? She's out with geldings and mares so i think it may be a behavioural problem of her being dominant and trying to be the top or the herd with me aswell as the other horses? any help will be appreciated, its got to the point where im considering selling her, and i really dont want to have to do that, to start with we got on so well i dont know whats changed. thankyou x

mbender 11-03-2010 06:08 PM

When your with her, what do you do with her?
Posted via Mobile Device

.Delete. 11-03-2010 06:10 PM

I would get her checked for ulcers
Posted via Mobile Device

Laurah994 11-03-2010 06:10 PM

i spend lots of time with her, grooming, lunging, grazing and feeding. When we ride i only do flatwork but vary her work with hacking and small circles and figures of 8 etc x

Laurah994 11-03-2010 06:11 PM

do you mean stomach ulcers?

.Delete. 11-03-2010 11:04 PM

Yes, when a horse has stomach ulcers a sudden complete change in attitude is very common

DubyaS6 11-04-2010 08:34 AM

I would definitely have her vet checked thoroughly to make sure there is nothing medically or physically wrong with her.

If she checks clean, I would maybe start with some round pen work to make sure you have the dominance aspect under control. This will eliminate that problem once you have her understanding that you are the leader, not her.

If that doesnt seem to help, I would just make sure that she isnt getting sour of the same old routine. Just make sure you switch it up for her quite a bit and make sure she isnt getting bored. It sounds like this is the least likely cause though.

I would definitely not sell her just yet until after you have tried the things mentioned above or you feel that she becomes dangerous to you or others.

Sometimes it takes a little while for horse and rider to mesh together well. I am sure it will all work out and the longer you work with her, the more you will learn about her.

Good luck!

kitten_Val 11-04-2010 08:49 AM

I'm with Delete and Dubya, you want to rule out the health problems first. Sudden change in behavior is never a good sign.

Laurah994 11-04-2010 11:50 AM

i will be getting my vet out soon, some friends at my yard have said physiotherapy may work but im put off by the price and im not sure if it will work, any ideas on that? thanks for your help

churumbeque 11-04-2010 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by .Delete. (Post 804491)
I would get her checked for ulcers
Posted via Mobile Device

That was my 1st thought. It is expensive to treat but it can explain sudden behavior changes.