The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Coyotes & Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/coyotes-horses-69712/)

MyBoyPuck 11-03-2010 06:11 PM

Coyotes & Horses

So I go out to get my horse today and he's grazing happily with a coyote sitting next to him chilling out. It was pretty cute. Just wondered if there's anything to worry about there. I'm thinking a coyote won't mess with an animal as large as a horse, but it never hurts to ask. For all I know my horse's new pet is curling up in the shed with him at night for bed time.

smrobs 11-03-2010 06:15 PM

LOL, sounds like a Kodak moment :D. I wouldn't worry about it. It is unlikely that a lone coyote would even attempt to take down a full sized horse and if he did, would likely get kicked for trying. If there were a whole pack, then I might be more worried but even then, a horse is awfully big prey for animals so small as coyotes (unless yours are a ton bigger than what we have down here). I think my biggest worry would be rabies. Around here, coyotes are carriers and all it would take was one little nip to infect your horse. However, so long as you are keeping up with his shots, I'm sure it's fine.

Brithorse1996 11-03-2010 06:16 PM

that's pretty darn cute

did you get a picture?

MyBoyPuck 11-03-2010 06:17 PM

I did get a pic, but it was with my cell phone and very far away, so I'm not sure if you can even see him in it. I'm cell phone challenged, so I can't even figure out how to get the picture off the phone yet! It definitely was a kodak moment.

Strange 11-03-2010 06:34 PM

I wouldn't worry much about it. If there were more than one, maybe. Just make sure your horse is UTD on his rabies vaccination, etc.

Ray MacDonald 11-03-2010 06:37 PM

That sounds cute, but I wouldn't get too comfortable with it.

Kayty 11-03-2010 06:39 PM

Wow being from Aus, the most we get are pesky foxes and the occasional dingo depending on where you like. All these threads about horses and bears, coyotes and mountain lions have me hugely fascinated!

mapleridgefarm 11-03-2010 06:46 PM

I would only worry about rabies. I have a coyote who hangs out at my barn. He appears in the hay field often, which isnt far from my barn. He never bothers me, I dont bother him. Im sure he goes in the pasture with the horses and cows. Coyotes will not attack a horse. keep an eye on him though, because if it is rabid he could turn on you or your horse in a second...

MyBoyPuck 11-03-2010 06:49 PM

I think it might be a mom hunting for food for her kids. As long as she's just eating bunnies and the ground hogs that might otherwise dig dangerous holes in the fields I like to gallop on, I'm fine with her being around.

Gus 11-03-2010 07:01 PM

awwww that would be so cute! I wouldn't worry i HIGHLY doubt a lone "wolf" will even attempt to take done a horse. I'm more suprised a horse let him get that close O.O and that is a perfect example...we should all be friends even to those who might kill us later on XD